Fish Kill Off

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have thank you.
Ooops... while I like that one, this one explains the trade off between immunity and reproduction over a wide variety of animals. Most of it went over my head.
http://icb.oxfordjournals.org/content/46/6/1060.full
that too.
I do have a grounding probe in the sump because I have always just done that. I did check with a volt meter and there is no stray voltage. That wasn't too random of a thought... It was one of my first ones. :)

its totally possible it was a stressor event from malfunction or other, or an introduction. try not to beat your self up.

Heres a weird story. After mostly being home for several months I left for work out of town for six weeks. during that time my talbot damsel, "Little Jerkface", shredded my dsb and burrowed holes all over the tank. I dint know they burrowed in the first place and we had had him for close to a year, and second there were no additions or subtractions or change in feeding schedule as the wife and kid were home to do it. when I got home. He stopped.

OP
OP
Crazieveggie

Crazieveggie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll get over the loss... , I'm just more worried about taking the tank all apart to get the remaining 4 fish out when I have a huge coral shipment comping in Thursday from world wide corals.

Now I'm questioning even if I wait 4 months and then add new fish, the "velvet" can still be with one of my wrasses that can tolerate it.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll get over the loss... , I'm just more worried about taking the tank all apart to get the remaining 4 fish out when I have a huge coral shipment comping in Thursday from world wide corals.

Now I'm questioning even if I wait 4 months and then add new fish, the "velvet" can still be with one of my wrasses that can tolerate it.
Unfortunately, the only way to starve the parasite out of existence is to get all the fish out of the tank for at least 6 weeks.

OP
OP
Crazieveggie

Crazieveggie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I should still be ok to put all the corals in that come from WWC Thursday? Or will taking all my rocks out cause a cycle?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better than snake oil, but not a cure all. The 2nd paragraph on the description says this:

"Ruby Reef RALLY delivers extremely effective control of many external parasites including dinoflagellates (e.g., marine velvet, clownfish disease), flukes and gram-negative bacteria (e.g., bacterial fin/tail rot, superficial sepsis, etc.). RALLY is, at best, marginally effective against I. multifiliis andC. irritans, but extremely useful in preventing the secondary bacterial infections that often accompany severe ich infestations."

The 2 things I would point out. First is that it says it is effective for "control" of many external parasites. It does not say elimination. Second is that it admits to being marginally effective against C. irritans (Marine Ich). Velvet and ich are biologically very similar. I would wonder how it could be extremely effective against one and marginal against the other. o_O

I think it is a good product and has it's uses, but it is unlikely to eliminate velvet from you tank. :(

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I should still be ok to put all the corals in that come from WWC Thursday? Or will taking all my rocks out cause a cycle?
You will be fine to put them into your tank imo, just try to minimize how much you stir up the sand bed. That is what will cause an ammonia spike.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A rally dip before going into the QT would be useful, but not a cure. Copper would get you the cure. You can add your corals, then start the fallow period from that day. You'll want to just be careful about stirring up the sand bed and any detritus when catching the fish.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20161127_101320_resized.jpg

It's already been mentioned, but there are white dots all over this Yellow Tang. ^^

Either ich or velvet.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck, I feel for you with this. I had a velvet outbreak at this time last year and wiped out 4K in fish. The best thing you can do is get the remaining fish out and qt all new fish. Be sure to dip corals well before placing in the fallow tank as well. Also, a coral qt is really beneficial as well when you already have fish in tank as they can bring it in and start the cycle all over again.

OP
OP
Crazieveggie

Crazieveggie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did dip the corals really well... i guess dip wont kill velvet....

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did dip the corals really well... i guess dip wont kill velvet....

Corals dips are probably ineffective against fish diseases. I say probably only because I've never bothered to actually test it, but based upon what I know it doesn't seem likely.

rc8t6353

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. In the wild these fish can leave an area that has a high concentration of ick, but in your tank they are stuck in a small box that quickly gets overrun. In the wild, a tang can get a few trophonts of velvet on him and swim for miles. they drop off the fish but he keeps swimming and they don't have the chance to reproduce and reattach to that particular fish.

0L
i dis agree.
their immune systems are billions of years old. ours are only millions. they reproduce in larger numbers because they get eaten more because there is no apex predator in the ocean only on land. its a web in the seas. everything eats everything.

our precautions for disease are because we put them in a box and weaken them in trying domesticate them. its a sad truth.

Qt is partly conditioning to reduce stressors, thus the use of low light. meds insure few aggressive diseases enter our animals environment(dt) as the animals there dont have the wild immune system to withstand a wild parasite or disese.. same as us getting inoculated while traveling and why we cant eat some local foods.

for the OP, im so sorry for your loss. Ive lost a few and have never figured out why.

OP
OP
Crazieveggie

Crazieveggie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caught no fish. Flame Wrasse's and 1 Yellow tang died today. All that is left is a yellow tang and a sailfin (Which I haven't seen the sailfish yet today) . :( Guess I will be 6 weeks without fish soon.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caught no fish. Flame Wrasse's and 1 Yellow tang died today. All that is left is a yellow tang and a sailfin (Which I haven't seen the sailfish yet today) . :( Guess I will be 6 weeks without fish soon.
I'm really sorry you are going through this. Such a beautiful set up. :(

Back