cirrhilabrus-lubbocki-4772.jpg

It's a little over exposed, but yeah. They can have really serious color

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a handful of fairy wrasses that should be avoided. The whipfin is one of those species, as are Scott's and adornatus.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't choose either of those dottybacks if you want more peaceful species as well. You'd be better with fridmani, sankeys or springers.

I'd also consider a group of springer or allens damsels.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yet, more suggestions....thanks everyone:

Sailfin Blenny (Lowstorm)
p-71848-sailfin-algae.jpg

Minimum Tank Size: 30 gallons
$ 19.99
Pro/Con

Orchid Dottyback, aka fridmani (mort)
p-90003-fridmani.jpg

$ 49.99
Pro/Con

Striped Dottyback, aka sankeyi (mort)
lg-89052-striped-dottyback.jpg

$ 39.99
Pro/Con

Springeri Dottyback (mort)
p-90002-springeri.jpg

$ 49.99
Pro/Con

Blue Sapphire Damselfish aka springeri (mort)
p-39339-blue-saphire-damse.jpg

$ 7.99
Pro/Con: First time I've seen a damsel listed as peaceful temperment! :eek:

Neon Damselfish aka allen's (mort)
p-70288-neon-damselfish.jpg

$ 11.99
Pro/Con

horseplay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul - here's some suggestions base on the fish I have kept in my 80g and 105g tanks.

Regal angel is doable as a center piece. You will not get a better looking fish. Start small is the best and you will need to aquascape the tank for need of the fish. Lots of caves. These fish are kind of seasonal. I acquired my 2" Maldives specimen from LiveAquaria in summer.

CBB is also doable as a center piece. Very active fish.

Foxfaces grow too fast I do not recommend.

Leopard wrasse are beautiful. I have a bipartitus. Get a trio.

Dwarf angels can be hit or miss when it comes to corals. I have multicolor which I recommend. I have seem pygmy in person much nicer than any photos.

Azure damsels are unbelievably bright and they do not kill each other as much as other damsels do.

Convict tang is extremely peaceful. And it grazes like there's no tomorrow.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe, thanks for your suggestions. On the subject of CBB's, I've tried two of them early in my fish keeping, and although they both ate in the store, I could not get them to eat in my tank. So I'm a little reluctant in trying another. What I don't get is that I had great success with one of it's cousins....a long nose yellow butterfly....ate everything, like a pig.

Regal Angelfish
p-67571-regal.jpg

Minimum Tank Size: 125 gallons
$ 199.99
Pro/Con: Reef Compatability with caution

Convict Tang
p-24030-convict-tang.jpg

$49.99
Pro/Con: Tank size

Azure Damselfish
p-88962-Azura-Damsel.jpg

$ 6.99
Pro/Con:

Blue Star Leopard Wrasse
p-80748-blue-star.jpg

Minimum Tank Size: 50 gallons
$ 49.99
Pro/Con:

Copperband Butterflyfish
p-68039-copperband.jpg

$ 34.99
Pro/Con:

Multicolor Angelfish
p-66232-Multicolor.jpg

Minimum Tank Size: 70 gallons
$ 99.99
Pro/Con: Reef Compatible: With Caution

Pygmy (Cherub) Angelfish
p-66609-Pygmy-Cherub.jpg

Minimum Tank Size: 55 gallons
$ 34.99
Pro/Con: Reef Compatible: With Caution

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have in my 90 mixed, pair of clowns, blue damsel, yellow tail damsel, benggai cardinal, coral beauty, and a blue spotted goby. (I have had casualties of a few fish just totally disappearing or unknown reasons. Lost a foxface, lawnmower blenny, and 2 of my 3 cardinals. Total mysteries as my other fish have been there for a long while)
Following along as I'll be looking to add a few more here soon. Best wishes on the stock list!

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a Melanurus Wrasse instead of the Coris Wrasse (really both Halichoeres) Theoretically both have the same cleanup and temprament.

p-80626-hoevens-wrasse2.jpg

Also, Genicanthus angelfish, if this is FOWLR I'd go with the centropyge varieties as their more flashy, but I have two female watanabe angels that are nice, don't pick on any corals, very peaceful except for against each other.

p-89541-watanabi-both.jpg

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a Melanurus Wrasse instead of the Coris Wrasse (really both Halichoeres) Theoretically both have the same cleanup and temprament.

p-80626-hoevens-wrasse2.jpg

Also, Genicanthus angelfish, if this is FOWLR I'd go with the centropyge varieties as their more flashy, but I have two female watanabe angels that are nice, don't pick on any corals, very peaceful except for against each other.

p-89541-watanabi-both.jpg
There is a difference in the temperaments of different Halichoeres. Melanurus is generally well behaved, but chrysus is still more peaceful.

charliethezero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my marine betta. He's always out when he sees me around. It may help I have lots of caves/hiding spots in my tank and he's comfortable being in the open.
20161225_145040.jpg
20160821_173415.jpg

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn't planned on starting to re-stock my tank yet while I pondered what I wanted, but a friend was breaking down his tank and he had a Yellow Clown Goby, which was on the list from @CodyRVA . First off, I wasn't expecting this guy to be so small.....my wife's named him Lemon Drop. I don't think he's a inch long. My friend did tell me that although small, he's got a big personality. Here he is hiding / swimming amoungst a teal millepora acropora.

Va_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im so happy people are suggesting Marine Bettas. I have one and he is my absolute favorite fish hands down. Not to mention they're one of the few fish with no documented cases of ich! Very peaceful and leaves everything alone.

Another cool suggestion would be a pair of dragon face pipefish, they do great in SPS systems.

Be careful with clown gobies as most will kill off sections of SPS to lay eggs or eat slime. This is why I didn't add any to my SPS tank.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that the betta is a beautiful fish. However two things bother me about putting this guy in my tank:

1. He gets big.....8 inches big. I can't understand LiveAquaria stating that this big fish "fits" in a 50 gallon tank. Seems like way too much fish for that size tank.
2. Also states that bettas eat small fish. I just put a tiny clown goby in there, which would make a nice hors d'oeuvres.

As far as egg laying on sps, don't you need two for spawning to occur?

Va_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my betta with a rainford goby and had no issues. I would think if you start with a small one and keep it fed you wouldn't have a problem.

As far as the clown gobies, it happens with even one, as they are preparing a nesting site, should another mate "appear."

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have had bettas with absolutely tiny fish, with the betta shwing no interest. Bettas will hunt medium to small shrimp.

Even if marine bettas did eat small fish, clown gobies produce a noxious slime coat which greatly reduces the creatures that will try to eat them.

A single clown goby will still prepare a nesting site on sps waiting for an appropriate mate. Though with larger sps colonies no major harm is done.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow goby was inherited about 8 years ago from someone who had patches of his sps stripped by it. It was on its own and did quite a bit of damage.

I also have a marine betta and it ate my cleaner shrimps. Likely my fault as I wasn't feeding enough. My breeding tank for clowns sits next to the betta tank and i forgot to put the lid back one day, two clowns got out that wouldnt touch the sides of the bettas mouth, but it didnt even look at them, their parents on the otherhand did want to eat them.
I think the recomended tank size is smaller than you'd imagine as this isn't a species that swims vigorously from one side to the other like a tang but rather stalks gently about. They do have a turn of speed but don't need a massive amount of space to be happy (not that bigger isn't better). Mine is very active and tame because I don't have any other large fish to bother it. It can also eat a 3" krill superba before begging for another.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back