Fish Tank Room

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you know us MP's. Actually after I got out and 25 years later I've gained 35 lbs. but no one in my family seems too interested in the fish. Wifie has gotten better but not much. The one grandson that lives with us is interested for five minutes when he gets home from school but other than that Nope. A new daughter in law had a tank in her first marriage but not now and on my side of the family no one care either. I guess I got into the wrong hobby ( NOT)
It keeps me busy and I'm happy. I don't know how you guys with multiple tanks and huge sizes do it. I can be busy 20!hours a week just putting around with mine. Getting ready to add a trigger systems ruby cube to my 45 gal JBJ nano and moving everything from the back down ought to be fun

OP
OP
143MPCo

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pssst.... I'll let you in on a secret my friend, one that you might already know, is that, if it wasn't for automation I don't know how I would be able to keep up with my systems either. Not that I'm that lazy, well maybe just a little but, it's a lot easier to enjoy this hobby if you can automate everything possible, that of course has its drawbacks because now you're 100% dependent on technology not failing you, which we all know in this hobby that's a very feasible occurrence.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you and other than feeding and water changes and dosing ( although I do have a doser don't need it yet) I'm automated. Have a Apex looking after almost everything. But since I'm retired I have lots of time on my hands after cleaning the house, washing clothes, grocery shopping and taking time out to go to the camper on weekends. So putzing around with the three tanks I have is fine ( I have a 45, a 10 for quarantine and a five for copepods which will go away once the refugium is in place) I wish I could have a 150 gal

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you buy more coral remember to dip in eXit also lol. Wish I had but honestly didn't think about those* critters. Bayer works for all else but asterina stars and flatworms. We live and learn don't we? RAP was a fun experience in Tampa. A tip: You get better deals the last day on livestock but buy early in the morning or you can lose out. I paid $60 for all 3 of my milli mini colonies ;)

Hahaha we rarely have the TV on anymore also! Since I involved my bucking bronco husband in our build he is no longer bucking but loving it! When he comes home from work he makes a beeline to the tank lol. And it is always the center of company attention. Luckily we are on a concrete slab ;)

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always dip ( not that I've done a lot yet) in Coral dip. And we do have the TV on but more for background noise than anything else.
Sorry Bob, I meant that for Alex about livestock purchased at RAP. I use Coral Rx as well as Bayer. Still doesn't effect flatworms or asterina stars IME. It can stun some but some survive. The corals that had the flatworms came from a VERY reputable vendor so flatworms never crossed my mind. Now I keep eXit on hand and dip in both :)

OP
OP
143MPCo

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you buy more coral remember to dip in eXit also lol. Wish I had but honestly didn't think about those* critters. Bayer works for all else but asterina stars and flatworms. We live and learn don't we? RAP was a fun experience in Tampa. A tip: You get better deals the last day on livestock but buy early in the morning or you can lose out. I paid $60 for all 3 of my milli mini colonies ;)

Hahaha we rarely have the TV on anymore also! Since I involved my bucking bronco husband in our build he is no longer bucking but loving it! When he comes home from work he makes a beeline to the tank lol. And it is always the center of company attention. Luckily we are on a concrete slab ;)

I don't think I have everything I need I'm still missing something, hmmmm.
image.jpeg

OP
OP
143MPCo

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only really use it on fresh cut frags as a disinfectant for the wound, I have no proof but the corals I have fragged seem to heal and encrust faster onto the frag mounts.

OP
OP
143MPCo

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Alex, I'll have to get some :)
Old video but his technique with the iodine is legendary....

1. Cuts a "normally sized" Acropora frag from the parent colony.
  2. Snips off a single polyp from this frag.
  3. Transplants the single polyp into the hole located on a rubber cap for a flower stem holder.
  4. Add a disinfecting iodine solution (using Tropic Marine Pro Coral Cure) into a flower stem holder.
  5. Place the rubber cap (with Acropora polyp) over the holder filled with iodine solution.
Mr. deSousa says frags mounted this way are more resistant to infection; This is because the freshly cut end of the frag/polyp is continually submerged in the iodine solution of the plastic vile. It normally takes about a mouth for the single polyp to encrust over the rubber cap and produce a second polyp. The micro-frag grows exponentially from there on out.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old video but his technique with the iodine is legendary....

1. Cuts a "normally sized" Acropora frag from the parent colony.
  2. Snips off a single polyp from this frag.
  3. Transplants the single polyp into the hole located on a rubber cap for a flower stem holder.
  4. Add a disinfecting iodine solution (using Tropic Marine Pro Coral Cure) into a flower stem holder.
  5. Place the rubber cap (with Acropora polyp) over the holder filled with iodine solution.
Mr. deSousa says frags mounted this way are more resistant to infection; This is because the freshly cut end of the frag/polyp is continually submerged in the iodine solution of the plastic vile. It normally takes about a mouth for the single polyp to encrust over the rubber cap and produce a second polyp. The micro-frag grows exponentially from there on out.

It's obvious he doesn't like orange digi either hahaha

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! What a great idea using floral tubes as well! Thanks for sharing the video. Imagine having a tank jam packed like his lol. And I worry I don't have enough room for grow out for fear of warfare!

OP
OP
143MPCo

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! What a great idea using floral tubes as well! Thanks for sharing the video. Imagine having a tank jam packed like his lol. And I worry I don't have enough room for grow out for fear of warfare!

I'm going to start this soon as I get back from RAP, will be interesting to see how I make out.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only really use it on fresh cut frags as a disinfectant for the wound, I have no proof but the corals I have fragged seem to heal and encrust faster onto the frag mounts.
Hmm I watched a guy on you tube liberally add Lugol's iodine to a bowl of water in which he had a coral he was going to frag. I wondered why so much and if it was going to harm the frag.
Where can you get that Bayers ( gee here I thought it was thir aspirin) insect stuff the exact name please and how

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1! Though I love the digi's... they grow like weeds and break too easily... I have TONS of German Blue that I can't even give away!
And what are German Blue digi's may I ask. If it's coral ( probably not) I'll take way not LOL

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back