Fishnugget's Elos 160XL

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is beautiful, I can't wait to see this Elos tank as it develops. Absolutely beautiful keep up the amazing work Fishnugget. My dream is a 160 XL one day I'll get there lol [emoji23] amazing job.

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice setup!! Do you mind sharing which lights you are using for under the cabinet? Also have you decided on which light you are getting for the display?

OP
OP
F

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VERY NICE ...

Thanks FMF. I will provide ongoing updates.

Great job keep up the great work. Interested to see and update

Thanks hellsangelbx, cycling is still ongoing but the tank is better. I used to be at 10ppm nitrates and now I am at about 5ppm. I am feeding a lot and using Red Seas NoPox. Looks like its working. I've been dosing 10ml will probably cut to 5ml.

This is beautiful, I can't wait to see this Elos tank as it develops. Absolutely beautiful keep up the amazing work Fishnugget. My dream is a 160 XL one day I'll get there lol [emoji23] amazing job.

Thanks for the compliments and hang in there. These tanks are pricey but they are worth the hype, esp. the new Diamond Line. I think what I like most about the tank is the stand because you can hide everything in the back and its well built.

Very cool setup!

Thanks d2mini, your tank isn't so bad either :). How do you like those Radions G4 for SPS? I am having a very hard time going that route or getting the ATI Powermodule Hybrid. Leaning towards the latter right now. Any of your feedback is gladly appreciated.

So my tank is still cycling, my nitrates have fallen to 5ppm. They were at 10ppm but I started dosing 10ml of NOPOX and do feed a lot. I will cut it to 5ml. I am going through the brown dust algae cycles but everything is where I want it to be. I think its probably good that I don't have the tank being blasted right now with light because I could have an algae explosion. I will likely add some Siporax soon, 30 liters to start. I have started adding fish. Just bought a trio of Hawaiian flame wrasses!

I did add another Finnex heater, Aqua UV Sterilizer. My algae on the glass has been a lot less since the addition of the Sterilizer which is nice to not have to clean the glass so often. I am saving up money for a big lighting expense. The contestants are the Radions G4's probably 4 to start then maybe 5 later or the new Mitras. If I go T5 its going to be the ATI Powermodule Hybrid. I like the aesthetics of the power module too much to opt for the Sunpower. The Powermodule has the edge right now because I think it will look much better hung over the rimless tank. I am not convinced by the LED hanging options for the Radions or Mitras.

My new female Trios are from zoacollector. He's an awesome guy to deal with. I had a good experience with him and we kept communication even after he shipped. They are happy and eating. Still acclimating in the critter box.

OP
OP
F

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice setup!! Do you mind sharing which lights you are using for under the cabinet? Also have you decided on which light you are getting for the display?

Thanks Reefer525! I sent you a pm.

I used led lights found in ebay, Just search "t5 led."

They are made in china but they are good. Several members in the garage journal forum recommended them. I like them because they are light and very bright. I also like their connectors because you can daisy chain them. I am using a total of 4X 2ft leds with frosted lens under my Elos Stand. I have 2 lights on each side.

Here are some links with lights and connectors that you can find. There are a bunch of sellers on ebay selling these. You can find them with all sizes and they inexpensive.

Here is the link for the lights,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/T5-LED-Tube...fe24f1a&pid=100005&rk=6&rkt=6&sd=222032036527

Connectors
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291329224134?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

OP
OP
F

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally got my light fixture, YAY!...:)

I am so glad I decided on the 60" ATI Powermodule Hybrid. Got to thank Reefer525XL for all his help. Right now I am running 4 t5's consisting of Blue + and Actinic with the LEDs at 50% so I dont fry my corals. I will probably keep it this way for about 2 weeks then increase to all 8 T5's. I may run very little of the white LED, I think I will use the LEDS more for dawn/dusk and supplementation using the RB/B Leds.

In case your wondering, I did hang the fixture on the ceiling and used a stud on one side. The other side is held by the toggle bolt, I really don't see a problem with the toggle bolts. Here are some quick pics I took. Tank pics came out a little too blue. I will have to play with the white balance next time.

Over the weekend I walked into a LFS and picked up a Regal Angelfish and Copper Band Butterfly fish. The CBB is eating well and the Regal is eating the Instant Ocean Gel tabs. He really likes those. It hasn't really taken to the Mysis yet. I think the one I have is vegetarian because he was eating Nori as well. I hope they both make it, I know these are not the easiest fish to keep in captivity but its a yellow belly and it is gorgeous.

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious what you used for the red/white plumbing :)

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the light fixture over the tank absolutely beautiful , amazing light to have over a beautiful tank, perfect match [emoji108][emoji12][emoji1303]

OP
OP
F

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy for you, happy to see her just like I imagined.

Thanks Mwells, It took me a while to get all the equipment because the bigger, the more expensive. Glad it has fulfilled your expectations so far.
I'm curious what you used for the red/white plumbing :)

Home Depot sells the red PVC. They have all different sizes and its very inexpensive. I got about 6ft of 1"red plumbing for 10 bucks! The other places, BRS, charge an arm and a leg for the same plumbing.

I love the light fixture over the tank absolutely beautiful , amazing light to have over a beautiful tank, perfect match [emoji108][emoji12][emoji1303]

This thing is nice to look at and well built. You can tell because it is heavy. I have to admit the programming has been a lot easier than GHL Mitras or Vertex Illumina.

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mwells, It took me a while to get all the equipment because the bigger, the more expensive. Glad it has fulfilled your expectations so far.

Home Depot sells the red PVC. They have all different sizes and its very inexpensive. I got about 6ft of 1"red plumbing for 10 bucks! The other places, BRS, charge an arm and a leg for the same plumbing.

This thing is nice to look at and well built. You can tell because it is heavy. I have to admit the programming has been a lot easier than GHL Mitras or Vertex Illumina.

Thanks I'll for sure look into that... because like you said the BRS stuff is way more expensive. Also where'd you get the lighting for underneath the stand? Do you know exactly what it is, if so that'd be very helpful!

OP
OP
F

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I'll for sure look into that... because like you said the BRS stuff is way more expensive. Also where'd you get the lighting for underneath the stand? Do you know exactly what it is, if so that'd be very helpful!

Yes definitely check out home depot. Check out post #27.

I included links for the lighting there.

I just love love love waking up and reading up on builds like this...simplicity amazing!!!

Thanks for the kind words. I am not going to deny that I have tried to simplify it as best I can. I believe the simpler you have it, the less room for failures. :)

Toomnymods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have finished completing most of my 40 breeder transfer of inhabitants to my Elos 160XL. I added an Aqua UV 57 watt sterilizer to help with algae/water clarity. Since I have turned it on about 12 hrs + I have not noticed a difference with water clarity. My water was already clear to begin with I believe from N0POX. I will report any results. It does make my sump look a bit more cluttered with the tubing, I may buy red or hard plumb to make it look cleaner, any suggestions welcome.

I did lose a Copper Band Butterfly, my Potters Angel kept harassing it. I had purposely left my blue tang in the 40 breeder to keep it from harassing the CBB but the Potters assumed that role. I decided I may hold off on a CBB. I have added a yellow coris wrasse, blue cleaner wrasse, and decided to add the blue tang back in. I will probably purchase a red flame hawk fish when I can find one. My Calcium Reactor Geo 618 or 624 (can't tell) is also online.

I still need my light fixture and still need to clean up the wires. I am waiting for my Royal Exclusive Controller pump holder to clean up the wires.

As I am typing we almost had an outage, dope! (that can't be good for my UV lamp)

Here are some pics of my UV Sterilizer mounted it seems a lot of people don't post pics of this. I bought the hangers at Lowes and were much cheaper than the 15 dollar clips aqua UV sells.

what is the name of those hangers? do you have a link to them? also for your uv filter are you running it as recommended to just clear up water or as a true uv filter that kills everything that passes thru it? think you need like 2,200-2,500 gph flow thru that 57 watt uv to not kill everything in the water column..

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice system, love the look of this tank brand.

OP
OP
F

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love how this tank is shaping up so far mate! I like what you say about keeping it simple as I try to achieve that ideology as well.

Yes, less is more.

Less Rock = Better Rock Scape
Less Equipment= Less Electrical Failures
Less Plumbing= More room in sump and tank

The list goes on and on....

I am considering getting rid of that UV sterilizer. I don't think I need it. My refugium with Cheato really cleaned the tank and now I have no algae! I bought about 6 turbo snails, 4 zebra snails, and astrea snails. They are really doing a good job of cleaning my powerheads too!

Let's see those updates man!

Yes, I know I have been slacking...The tank looks a lot better. No more algae and my frags have some color. I will post pics soon. Time to take out the camera.

what is the name of those hangers? do you have a link to them? also for your uv filter are you running it as recommended to just clear up water or as a true uv filter that kills everything that passes thru it? think you need like 2,200-2,500 gph flow thru that 57 watt uv to not kill everything in the water column..

I am running an eheim 125o through it, which is about 350 mph ;Wideyed. However, I have copepods in my fuge and I had an algae and ick outbreak and I believe it did nothing. I am a bit skeptical as to whether it does anything o_O

However, its hooked up and I may just run it for another 6 months. I may take it offline to see if there are any changes after 6 months. My tank water is clear but I believe its because my bacterial levels in my tank have caught up with the tank. I am no longer going through a cycle. It may have helped with my cycle but its all based on anecdotal evidence.

Nice system, love the look of this tank brand.

Thanks Tahoe. :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back