flaming mohican vs krakatoa

RichieT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rumor has it that a new shipment came in with fresh batch of kraks. Who is excited to drop 1k now? I'm curious how long the importer dares hold them before fragging away and sending out to hobbyists.

shawy2510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a $200 pop maybe worth it but I got the worlds smallest krak for $400 at the time and never seen it open.

OP
OP
lps1212

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rumor has it that a new shipment came in with fresh batch of kraks. Who is excited to drop 1k now? I'm curious how long the importer dares hold them before fragging away and sending out to hobbyists.
yup thats what ive heard through the grape vine im guessing 200-300pp will be the selling price I for one had my crack at krak and am officially krak free for now :bigsmile:

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Krak lives people don't worry...lol... Supposedly these shipments of Kraks have been coming in for the past year. There should be thousands upon thousands flooding the market yet not 1 krak from these shipments have been shown anywhere... How is that possible????

Last edited:

RichieT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Krak lives people don't worry...lol...Yes it is still as rare as it was before... Supposedly these shipments of Kraks have been coming in for the past year yet not 1 krak from these shipments have been shown anywhere... How is that possible????

One possibility is that they don't make it past the importer

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One possibility is that they don't make it past the importer

Oh come on man.... They are not that bad.... One thing I have learned with them is that they like higher lighting and medium flow, pretty much the same requirements as a bowser. They are not as finicky as people say they are but I will tell you that once you find a spot they like in your tank, don't move them. Let them be and they will be fine.... I know for a fact that some people started to freak out when their Krak was closed for a day and thought that it needed to be dipped and people started moving them around and they wouldn't open back up. Rumor has it that I lost like 15-20 of them? Yes it is true, it was not because they were finicky it was because of my tank crash (long story short, fake rock being sold as fiji live rock poisoned my tank). I will tell you the Kraks were not the first to go. They hung in there while others were going. The ones I currently have were closed up for over a month and I was able to nurse them back to health and are good and growing now. The trigger for them closing up was that my salt was running too high. The refractormeter calibration fluid I purchased from BRS was bad and my tank was running up in the 1.030 range. Yea everything lived but the Krak closed up after the tank was running high salinity for a couple of weeks. There is always a cause and effect on why something dies. One of the Krak owners (not LPS1212) never tested his water and just does water changes, is that proper reef keeping habbits? Something went wrong or he had a swing of something in his system and the Krak closed up. When he saw the Krak closed he started picking them up then moving them around, then take them out of the water and then put them back in the water various times no matter how many times I told him not too. Eventually they ended up melting.

Last edited:

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm, that was not my experience with the Krak I received from A seller in L.A. It came in unhappy and never recovered. I did not touch it or over dip it, move it, nothing. Water quality was not an issue. I probably should have dipped it to nurse it back to health. By the time I did try a dip, against the advice I received from the seller, it was too late. Thankfully I have a perfectly happy and healthy Krak from a different source. I did dip the second Krak polyp three times over a 6 day period when I first received it. I added a bit of flow and it has been extremely happy. I would never sell it for the crazy prices people were selling it for a while back. It I'll be interesting to see if there is a "flood" of Kraks out there over the next few months.

What I find really interesting is that there are no Kraks out there for sale at all...unless I have just missed them. I wonder if the majority of polyps sold melted or are the folks that have them not getting much growth?

Last edited:

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm, that was not my experience with the Krak I received from A seller in L.A. It came in unhappy and never recovered. I did not touch it or over dip it, move it, nothing. Water quality was not an issue. I probably should have dipped it to nurse it back to health. By the time I did try a dip, against the advice I received from the seller, it was too late. Thankfully I have a perfectly happy and healthy Krak from a different source. I did dip the second Krak polyp three times over a 6 day period when I first received it. I added a bit of flow and it has been extremely happy. I would never sell it for the crazy prices people were selling it for a while back. It I'll be interesting to see if there is a "flood" of Kraks out there over the next few months.

What I find really interesting is that there are no Kraks out there for sale at all...unless I have just missed them. I wonder if the majority of polyps sold melted or are the folks that have them not getting much growth?

First off, I heard what happened to yours and I was on your side but some people don't like to listen to advise I guess. Sorry that it didn't make it. Second, we need to see pictures of the new Krak or it didn't happen!!! LOL... People have been talking about that flood of Kraks since they came about this time last year and it still hasn't happened... Maybe it is time to face the fact that there are not as many Kraks as people think there are. As it was stated before, as soon as the Krakatoa hit the high price then all the sudden people everywhere were saying they had krakatoas just to get in on the action. I have only seen a couple real ones that people had posted and a lot of fake ones that people were saying were real but they were not. I hope you got a real one from a reliable source. Most of the Krakatoas that I knew of are now gone with the exception of a few.

Last edited:

kingator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
me too lol krackless lol they are only a few around that i know of also .......to all the krackheads out there post yall pics lol

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the vote of confidence on that "Krak gone bad deal". I was bummed but ultimately it was on me since I chose to deal with someone I really didn't know. I have the real deal Krak....No doubt :). I'll post a pic, I just need to shoot one. I'll get a shot up later today. One of the reasons I have never posted in this thread was that I don't care for all the drama over this piece. But, I changed my mind and decided to add to the discussion. I think the best thing I have heard about this zoa is to make sure you are purchasing a mature polyp instead of a baby. Those few for sale, including the one I bought that perished,were young. The one I have now I waited for quite a while so it grew up and became a mature polyp before shipping. Not only that but the grouping it came from have been with the seller for quite a long time.

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my Krak zoa. It is in the very back of my tank way out of the main light so it absolutely blows for getting a good picture of the colors on it. I just haven't wanted to move it since it is so happy. I will slowly try and move it out into more light over time so the pictures will get better...or, Richie T needs to bring his camera when he comes over and get a decent picture of it for me ;)!!!

Krak 4-5-14 sm.jpg

shawy2510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
who did you get it from? Hope u didn't get taken advantage of since u live in the UK :-(

I got it from Joeknowsreefs. Had 1 which arrived dead then he replaced f.o.c but he had others for people aswel & think I had the runt of the family. He never took advantage of me as from day 1 we said no doas.

Zukizuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my Krak zoa. It is in the very back of my tank way out of the main light so it absolutely blows for getting a good picture of the colors on it. I just haven't wanted to move it since it is so happy. I will slowly try and move it out into more light over time so the pictures will get better...or, Richie T needs to bring his camera when he comes over and get a decent picture of it for me ;)!!!

Krak 4-5-14 sm.jpg

Nice alicia. I need to see it in person.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back