floating canopy ideas for 4 ft rimless

atlorange

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone done one? Looking to house 2 Radions and 4 T5 bulbs. Looking to do something low profile and simple. Thought about gutting an existing T5 fixture and removing the middle bulbs and reflectors and mounting the Radions there, but someone mentioned that heat would/could be a problem with that design....Hmmm. Any pics, tips or advice appreciated.

lyscer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is only 35.5" but this is what I did
yQJoD7L.jpg

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone done one? Looking to house 2 Radions and 4 T5 bulbs. Looking to do something low profile and simple. Thought about gutting an existing T5 fixture and removing the middle bulbs and reflectors and mounting the Radions there, but someone mentioned that heat would/could be a problem with that design....Hmmm. Any pics, tips or advice appreciated.
This is what i did for my radions. Used the same diy idea from brs using aluminum angle to connect the two them used cables on each side of the pair to hang them. Super sturdy and not worried at all about falling. The wall rack i built out of gas piping. Cleaned it off with acetone, used undustrial loctite to fuse the threads in olace where i wanted them, painted them black and done also built a hoops to sit on the ugly plastic rim so it looks really sharp now.
20170216_170713.jpeg
20170216_170523.jpeg

Marc.The.Shark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My light is DIY and I wanted the floating look as well. I used a projector mounting bracket from eBay. It was like $15 or something & holds like 60lbs. My light is roughly 15lbs with the large heat sink that I used. I modified it to not stick out as far from the wall by cutting back the main mounting arm to the wall mount bracket. Also has front to back & side to side adjustments at the light itself for aiming. Might give you some ideas.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extendable-...545252?hash=item3ce1b184e4:g:YgQAAOxyItRTecWc
IMG_0857.JPG

More pictures here
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-build-diy-heavy-new-fts.258826/

Last edited:

cjd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of doing this ... fscbishop , what cable mounting kit did you use ?? I going for the clean lines like my ATI T5 fixture . I trying not to use big hooks and chains .

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back