fluconazole x bryopsis

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Might as well be the one to start this thread, as im sure it will eventually come quite popular. Ive had a someone come to me this past week asking my opinion. Now i have absolutely no idea, what it is in this medicine that kills bryopsis, but im on the hunt to find it. Ive had bryopsis in the past, and its a REAL pain to deal with, mostly leading to ones tank demise. Its something that one should never have to deal with in this hobby because it litterally takes away our pride. Hopefully more and more anectodal experiences with this medication can lead to something spectacular. Anyway, words cant express how happy i am to share this to the r2r community, i feel it will be the final golden ticket against bryopsis in the future.

Last edited:

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting as it's an antifungal treatment. Though bryopsis is not your normal everyday hair algae either so may have some reaction. Or its a contaminate/inactive ingredient that's doing it.

Are they using a particular product or name brand?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The joys of being married to a nurse! She gets to explain what and how medications are used for. The best thing is to start with a close relative such as lotrimazole, miconazole. These are stated to be over the counter.

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Screenshot_2017-01-16-21-03-34.png
Interesting as it's an antifungal treatment. Though bryopsis is not your normal everyday hair algae either so may have some reaction. Or its a contaminate/inactive ingredient that's doing it.

Took this from njreefersclub.org

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Now im not so sure, but "it blocks cholesterol the bryopsis need to grow" Im not that smart with these antifun/antibac stuff lol but is this possible with fluconazole you think?

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to know more! :D

Are people doing this in fully stocked reef tanks? What else is dying off? Any losses? Ugh, I hate bryopsis

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I want to know more! :D

Are people doing this in fully stocked reef tanks? What else is dying off? Any losses? Ugh, I hate brypopsis
Theres someone with a full blown sps tank that had not 1 problem with livestock other then a 100% dieoff of bryopsis. Ill have to look. A buddy of mine wants to try this, and not that i have my doubts, hed loose A VERY VERY big investment and absolutely beautiful home system. There could be potential downsides to this stuff. I have 1 spec of bryopsis on a frag plug that my tang continues to eat it (i know thankfully! Prob on accident) Otherwise id try the treatment myself

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a member of njreefers.org and I'm aware of the tank that @Sabellafella quoted above that used fluconazole. I'm not sure if the guy who posted on NJ site is a member here ( @art13 ), but here are two of his photos of his tank.

DAY ONE
img_2069-jpg.14714

DAY EIGHT
img_2305-jpg.14837

EDIT TO ADD:

Sorry folks, it's not allowing me to post the pictures here....Day One was all rock covered with algae.....Day Eight, totally gone. This was in a mixed reef tank with multiple fish.

DAPG8GT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subbed for more info and experience stories. It's gotta affect more than just the briopsis Right?

I'm about to tear down a tank due to this crap and I'm almost think I should try it after I remove corals and fish to see if it works and what the bio does ( sponges, pods, bristle worms etc) .. It's getting Dismantled and scrubbed out regardless over the next few months/weeks..

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Subbed for more info and experience stories. It's gotta affect more than just the briopsis Right?

I'm about to tear down a tank due to this crap and I'm almost think I should try it after I remove corals and fish to see if it works and what the bio does ( sponges, pods, bristle worms etc) .. It's getting Dismantled and scrubbed out regardless over the next few months/weeks..
Out of all the algae the few people had. It only affected bryopsis. Im not really 100 percent sure, but one kid i think had both cyano and gha, that were virtually unaffected other then growing a bit quicker due to die off

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Interesting read over there!

Order placed, I might bite on this.
Oh no! Try not to yet unless you dont really have a choice(or if you think it outways the benefit). Ive talked to a few people that are about to try it, hopefully i can see for myself, then i can be confident enuff to tlk about treatments. Im chicken when it comes to additives. Anyway, i tryed my best to research what goes on, and from what ive seen, only a few people have tryed it. I hope it turns out to be a golden ticket really, going to take a whole lot of trial and error.

Back