FOWLR Parameters

Nanoreefbro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I set up my FOWLR 150 gal tank.. I know its somewhat different then setting up a reef system. So far my params are.. PH
8.0 NITRATE 20 ALK 14 CA 300 MAG 1050. The ALK is little high for me not too worried about the CA and MAG since its a FOWLR system.. Otherwise how does everything else look?​

RBursek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not enough info, what salt are you using? What SG are you at? With a fish only and LR nitrates are not as critical and are okay for a FOWLR tank, heck my mentor has one that he does not even take the 30gal that he takes out of his reef tank and and take out 30g out of the FOWLR tank and put that in. Trates are in the 80's in the Fish tank. I do not agree with him, I would cycle that water. But PH is important to fish, if out of wack can burn there gills. I would say read this about what NSW is.
Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
This should tell you all you need to know!!!!

RBursek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say a 1.025 SG is just fine, you do not need to max out SG to get the max big 3 chems out of your salt. I run my reef about 1.025 just for any error, and dose my 3 as needed. Most fish are very adaptive if done slowly.

XCrunnr36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay well this is my just my .02 on FOWLR tanks...

Essentially i never realize why people dont run FOWLR tanks as a hospital tank.

For example a hospital tank has salinity at 1.009 with a slightly higher temp (so parasites cant survive)

Would this not be a more ideal strategy? is there a reason not to run it this way?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back