Frag advice

DustinC9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just bought my first frag and I was thinking of taking it off of its plug. I do not want to cut the actual zoa itself or anything. This question would apply to other corals as well like xenia. Also, do you need to super glue them back down onto the tank? I want my corals to move to their own place they want to be at. How would they do this if they are super glued?

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals are you asking about specifically? i cut as much of the plug as i can off with some cutters and then glue that somewhere in the tank.. if you cut coral off of the plug you do have to somehow fasten it somewhere because flow from the tank will carry it places and it could stay in one place long enough to attach but it could land somewhere its not happy and die as well...

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is usually better to remove the plug. With zoas, I take a razor blade at a horizontal position and cut between the plug and the super glue. The old super glue gives you a new base. I use new super glue to attach the zoas to a rock (my choice, not theirs.) Zoas are like children. They need your direction. Otherwise they may end up in an unhealthy place. :D This especially applies to xenias. If you let them pick their own spots you'll regret it the rest of your life.

Fragzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wont find its own place it likes, it will most likely get blown under a rock or into a dead spot

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones are the only ones that move to the spot they like. Any other coral you will have to glue where you want it to be and hopefully they will grow where they want. You can cut the bottom of the plug and glue anywhere. Zoas like medium light most of the time

OP
OP
D

DustinC9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the zoa in no problem. It didnt like that I was messing with it and closed up like a butt for about 24 hours and then opened up. in the past few days it has grown to like its new home. It looks more healthy than at the lfs. On the other hand I think when I was getting the xenia off of the plug i might have cut one of the stalks or something. After about 2 days it started standing up and opening its hands up real nice and looking great. Then 2 days after that it started closing up and looking like it was not doing so good. I chose to wait it out and then I woke up this morning to find them flat on the rocks with brown slime all over it. I think it might be brown jelly disease. I took it out and dosed with dip. Not sure if I can save this one. I will be posting pictures later to see what you guys think.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you dip your new zoa's in anything before you put them on the tank?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back