OP
OP
Freakyyfort

Freakyyfort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On its way home... and it's final resting ground.. for awhike anyways. Waiting to get rock sand and salt now... the mrs showing it off. Haha.

And the in between project. Now just grow out. Transfer things to the 75 when things are ready. Updates later when I start aquascaping. Any ideas on the scaping. I know ppl say 1 to 1.5 pounds of rock and sand per gallon. I also read less is more. Doing black sand and all base rock.

Anyone?

20160417_165054.jpg

20160418_190537.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Freakyyfort

Freakyyfort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta get paid before I can afford more. Haha. This weekend will be adding the skimmer. Then on to order the sand once the sand gets here by the end of next week will be adding water.. I'm almost there.. will hopefully get the canopy built this next week along with the doors... still havent decided on a trim job....

OP
OP
Freakyyfort

Freakyyfort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the skimmer. Aquamaxx.. got the sand ordered today woohoo salt next week.. shoukd have it wet and fully running by next weekend. Rock and lights are left. Bought a puppy so that set the tank back a week...
Got 2 55 gallon barrels and replaced the tubs with barrels for ro and saltwater mixing. Got the uniseals on their way to plumb them. Baby steps this build is but it's almost there..

Also changing the return to come up over the middle and split over the center brace push water off the front of the glass

20160422_215907.jpg

c662097a-bd27-4b50-be40-ce6e962c709a.jpg

20160425_193512.jpg

dkosdros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice job. Wish I would have done a few things you did on yours to mine. Will be following along.

OP
OP
Freakyyfort

Freakyyfort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first saltwater build.. just have had the fellow reefers tanks to refer to and some reefers input. A l ot of research before i evwn started. Really glad it came together. This site saved me to continue with my tank build. Once this is up and running the 20 will come down for a complete overhaul :)

I wanna thank all to those that helped me and a thanks in advance for everyone that's gonna help me as I progress into this tank more and others to come :) reef2reef is a great community :)

OP
OP
Freakyyfort

Freakyyfort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well latest update here. Got the salt in couple days ago now it's gotta sit around and cycle...

Trying to figure out what to do for acclimation box.

Been researching a qt tank as well.. would a 10 gallon be suffice. Or do I need something bigger? I do eventually want to host bigger fish and I have a 29 gallon I would use for a medical tank if needed. Just somethings in the planning while cycle. Gonna run 4 bulb retro fit from brs t5ho. Ati bulbs.

Lost the 6 line wrasse in the 20 as he went through the hobby filter.. hmm not much else just doing more and more research.

20160506_195244.jpg

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a 5-10 gallon tank is what I'm going to get for a QT tank for now. (My DT is only 25..)

dkosdros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going with a 10 gallon myself. I've read to go with bigger but I buy my livestock small so it can have a chance to grow up in my DT. So I don't foresee an issue. Only downside I can see is if I had to move everything from DT to a QT tank but I feel like it I have to do that then even a 29 or something of that size isn't going to work anyways and at that point I probably have bigger problems. What are you using to cycle tank? Fish? Raw shrimp? Ghost feeding? Bottle of bacteria?

OP
OP
Freakyyfort

Freakyyfort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a piece of live rock from my 20 gallon and also some sand from the 20 as I was told even the littlest flake from live rock would reduce it by half. I'm not in a hurry as I don't have my t5s yet or my rock. So just added it to see if it works. No hurry here as its already taken awhile since I first started

dkosdros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea the live rock piece and the sand will kick off a cycle. When you get the rest of the rock it will then reset the cycle I believe but should go quicker because by that time you should have built up bacteria on all the other surfaces in the tanks

OP
OP
Freakyyfort

Freakyyfort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have live sand in there as well just needed a kicker so one rock and sand should kick it off quicker.. still no hurry

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One reason I've joined R2R is my intention to do a new build. Good luck! I'm following...

OP
OP
Freakyyfort

Freakyyfort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2r is the best online community I've been on. Love it here quick answer and respectable ppl. Thanks r2r

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back