FREE?! 75 gallon build

Pdandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little back story. I had a 265 gallon tank that I moved to the lobby at my job while my family moved. Everyone at work loves it so much and the company basically pays for everything on it, so it's staying. I'm not complaining though. I basically get paid to take care of my own tank. And it costs me nothing.

IMG_4530.JPG

So I've been with out a tank at home for over one year now.

My wife is a member of the neighborhood nextdoor app and she caught a post from someone a block away from us that is giving away a 75 gallon tank for free. She jumped on it without even asking me first ( she knew I'd say yes, she's a keeper).

The lady says they've had the tank for a couple years and just don't have the time for it anymore. It has "live rock and 6 fish". That's all I know so far.

So needless to say I'm going into this blindly. I plan on maybe keeping a few of the fish for the big tank at work and taking the rest to the LFS for credit depending on what they are.

The live rock I will most likely clean up and let dry out. I can seed them back with rock from the work tank.

At this point I don't even know what filtration the tank has. If it's drilled or not. What kind of stand. Lights?

So wish me luck! Update tomorrow when I see it.

pugcrush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little back story. I had a 265 gallon tank that I moved to the lobby at my job while my family moved. Everyone at work loves it so much and the company basically pays for everything on it, so it's staying. I'm not complaining though. I basically get paid to take care of my own tank. And it costs me nothing.

IMG_4530.JPG

So I've been with out a tank at home for over one year now.

My wife is a member of the neighborhood nextdoor app and she caught a post from someone a block away from us that is giving away a 75 gallon tank for free. She jumped on it without even asking me first ( she knew I'd say yes, she's a keeper).

The lady says they've had the tank for a couple years and just don't have the time for it anymore. It has "live rock and 6 fish". That's all I know so far.

So needless to say I'm going into this blindly. I plan on maybe keeping a few of the fish for the big tank at work and taking the rest to the LFS for credit depending on what they are.

The live rock I will most likely clean up and let dry out. I can seed them back with rock from the work tank.

At this point I don't even know what filtration the tank has. If it's drilled or not. What kind of stand. Lights?

So wish me luck! Update tomorrow when I see it.
Good looking tank at the office. I bet everybody is calm & low stress!

Free is free! Nice score either way. Good luck!

OP
OP
Pdandy

Pdandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the tank I got from the lady giving it away before I went to go get it.

IMG_5910.JPG

It was a mess. Cyano and aptasia everywhere. Broken light. The stand was shot. So I took the fish ( engineer goby, clown pair, tomini tang, and a radiant wrasse) and threw them in my other tank's sump for now. Washed the rock and sand and will let it dry out before I bleach the rock clean.

IMG_5881.JPG

IMG_5877.JPG

I'm in the process of resealing the tank after I cleaned it up the best I could. It actually had a nice sump with it. It was dirty but cleaned up ok.

IMG_5880.JPG

IMG_5900.JPG

I plan on drilling another hole in the tank to do a herbie overflow. My friend is building me a new stand for it. I have extras of everything else I need to get it running.

pugcrush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Is that a radiant wrasse? That looks like a score. There's some nice pieces of rock in there. I'm sure the fish will be very happy though being upgraded to a renovated tank.

OP
OP
Pdandy

Pdandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resealed.

IMG_5943.JPG

Second hole drilled.

IMG_5954.JPG

Overflow glued in.

IMG_5955.JPG

Got the skimmer too. It doesn't fit in the sump so I ordered a trigger systems crystal 30. Should be here Monday.

IMG_5942.JPG

OP
OP
Pdandy

Pdandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trigger systems crystal 30 sump. Now to paint the tank. Put some wood under the sump. Then it's plumbing time!

IMG_5991.JPG

OP
OP
Pdandy

Pdandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost finished skinning the stand and canopy in 140 year old barn wood. Just need to work on the doors next.

IMG_6086.JPG

Added a percula clown to my existing occelaris. They paired up almost immediately and have shown no signs of aggression.
IMG_6137.JPG

Centerpiece of the entire tank. Dwarf Hawaiian moray.
IMG_6175.JPG

Tomini tang. Also have an engineer goby but the only sign that he's actually in there is the piles of sand he makes.
IMG_6280.JPG

Birdsnest
IMG_6302.JPG

Pocillopora
IMG_6303.JPG

Mushrooms
IMG_6307.JPG

Finger leather, cabbage leather, monti cap.
IMG_6306.JPG

FTS
IMG_6293.JPG

Back