frozen fish food

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 bags of frozen fish food but unfortunately they are mostly too big for my fish. Would you toss it or defrost blend and refreeze or give it way. TIA Rich

OP
OP
rich nyc

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The food is LRS Fish Frenzie. I have 4 ocellaris clowns, 2 firefish, rainford goby clown goby. My flasher wrasse committed suicide this week by jumping out of my screen top :(

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you defrost it in a cup of water it can be chopped up with a spoon pretty easily.

OP
OP
rich nyc

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually defrost it in something smaller but I guess I can try that. It was on sale. Should have stuck with hikari
May look for a grater. great idea

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you know someone with a meat grinder, one and always run the simi frozen product through the grinder, and refreeze. One can always do this with small amounts food and chop the product with a knife too. My suggestion would to be also not to add any water to the product, so that the food keeps it integrity during the process.

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you defrost it in a cup of water it can be chopped up with a spoon pretty easily.

If that doesn't work you can try shaving off slivers of the frozen food before thawing with a sharp knife. Instead of using a grater simply take the frozen chunk of food and chop it on a dish or paper plate with a razor blade. We try make our blends textured enough that they work well for the most common sizes of fish found in local stores. Of course we may always encounter customers with fish either larger or smaller than our target consumer. Our LRS Reef Frenzy® NANO food IS blended 20% finer than all the standard 8 ounce packs which may be a better solution for you going forward.

While LRS foods may require a tad more prep work at feeding time the improvement in fish health, vibrance and immunity make it well worth it IMO. There is a reason our blends keep getting mentioned in captive breeding success stories like those found here: http://www.larrysreefservices.com/testimonials.html

The increased nutrition provided by the fresh ingredients results in higher fatty acids (the GOOD fats) as well as more intact proteins. The fresh ingredients and short time in transit from the ocean to the end user is one of the many reasons our foods have been such a success with finicky eaters and difficult species. In addition our foods have had active probiotics added since 2013, which is now starting to catch on with other food makers in the hobby.

I wouldn't try to thaw the food ahead of time, blend it finer and refreeze. We advise against thawing and refreezing LRS as it has the potential to significantly break down the food when it goes through a second slow freezing process in a residential freezer. As food is frozen ice crystals form at the cellular level and the slower the freeze the larger the crystals. We do a rapid freeze in commercial freezers at -24F to minimize this effect during initial production.

I hope you stick with LRS and become satisfied with your purchase. If I can be of any further assistance please PM me and I can try and help offer other feeding tips.

Hopefully soon we can see your fish feasting like this....

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 73 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 8.7%

Back