Genetics question

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So say i start with a few wild picasso and normal clowns how do i arive at say a frostbite or similar
My guess would be that it takes many of generations of selective breeding. You have to cross breed picasso's with other types of clowns. If the offspring are viable you would then try to mate a pair with patterns similar to what you are looking for or take one and mate it with a different clown. Do this over and over again until you get a repeatable pattern that you like.

immafishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So say i start with a few wild picasso and normal clowns how do i arive at say a frostbite or similar

Picasso clowns are from A. Percula, frostbites are from A. Ocellaris. So there isn't any way to get a frostbite from picassos, however, the breeding of 2 picassos is how you form the platinum clown. For the frostbite, you need to cross a Wyoming white and a snowflake, but not all offspring will be of the same pattern, so it may take a few batches to get a good number of only frostbite clowns.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

president89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to breed regular Occellaris and find a snowflake. I wouldn't bother doing all this. If you tried to redo all this work you are looking at 5+ years of work because each new baby fish will take around 12 months to spawn including the pairing efforts.

OP
OP
jason.kennedy.98478

jason.kennedy.98478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to breed regular Occellaris and find a snowflake. I wouldn't bother doing all this. If you tried to redo all this work you are looking at 5+ years of work because each new baby fish will take around 12 months to spawn including the pairing efforts.
That's half the fun though trying to get good snowflakes and an occasional wyoming white

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Intersting discussion!

Just Clownin Around

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as stated above you are trying to recreate the wheel. if you really want to put in some work and clean a strain up. start with the fish you desire and breed a "wild/ clean" fish into those genetics. keep on doing that until you get what you want then recross those to go back to original traits. you are looking at years of work though and even longer if you do not have females that are already breeding/ laying eggs

Back