GHA Growing On Vermetid Shells

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So this is a new one - I have a decent number of vermetid sails in the tank. I've tried various fish to eat them but nothing ever works. It's not so bad that I care a lot, but now I'm noticing a bit of GHA growing out of the tops of their shells. I have maybe one or two small spots of GHA in the tank, and I've hit those with H2O2, which does seem to work.

So the questions is - why would the GHA grow out of the vermetid shells? Are they dying and just creating a nice little home for the stuff to take root?

Just curious more than anything else.

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have same issue and the vermatids are just a nightmare. My next tank will be real reef rock and Marco rock.......no more live rock

FDAWG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have same issue and the vermatids are just a nightmare. My next tank will be real reef rock and Marco rock.......no more live rock

Always inspect your frags for Vermetid Snails, I introduced them to my tank via a frag in accident and now they have taken over my tank.

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always inspect your frags for Vermetid Snails, I introduced them to my tank via a frag in accident and now they have taken over my tank.
Right now I only have FOWLR but that is good advice because I plan on getting corals at some point

OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm not overly worried about the snails at this point. They're in there but nothing crazy. Just weird that now hair algae is growing out of them but pretty much nowhere else. Very strange.

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'm old school but I could never imagine setting up a tank without live rock. the critters have their roles to play. a dab of super glue will kill the snails off. my leopard wrasse sucks them up like escargot

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'm old school but I could never imagine setting up a tank without live rock. the critters have their roles to play. a dab of super glue will kill the snails off. my leopard wrasse sucks them up like escargot
The leopard wrasse eats them....????

Are those type of wrasse jumpers?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back