OP
Mike_J

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MikeJ, any updates on your experience with it?

It was delivered earlier this week and while I have tested it, it won't be mounted above my tank for another 2 weeks, until after I move. I have to say though, this fixture is stunning and the build quality of this beast is amazeballs. AND, this thing is powerful! I almost blinded myself, lol! I ordered the 48" which will cover the entire length of my tank for now and with a future build in mind that will be about 60 inches in length, it'll be perfect for that tank as well. As soon as I get the tank up and running with this fixture in the new house, I'll post some pics and reviews. So sweet, I can't wait!

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks...it'll about 2 weeks before I start setting my tank up also after a move.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the recommended height above the water for this fixture?

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the recommended height above the water for this fixture?

There isn't one... it's going to depend on the depth of your tank, types of coral, coral placement, light intensity that you run, length of fixture vs length of tank etc. I run mine at about 11" AWL. I've seen someone run it at about 4" AwL on the same tank... but their fixture was the same length as the tank. So if they raised it much higher they would probably get a lot of bleed off the ends of the tank. I purposely run a shorter fixture.

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just a lot of trial and error. :)

Exactly. Always start dim and work your way up. You can kill a coral in a day with too much light... but it would take weeks/months to kill a coral with too little light.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. Always start dim and work your way up. You can kill a coral in a day with too much light... but it would take weeks/months to kill a coral with too little light.

I'll have a reef club guy bring his par meter over! :)

OP
OP
Mike_J

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sneak peak of the beast set up in the new fish room at the new house... awaiting a tank to illuminate. :)

20160925_162211.jpg

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sneak peak of the beast set up in the new fish room at the new house... awaiting a tank to illuminate. :)

20160925_162211.jpg

SWEET!!!! So wait, is yours a textured finish?

OP
OP
Mike_J

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I would have preferred a smooth finish and in white to match my tank, but it wasn't even an option unfortunately. Apparently, this is the only one they offer at BRS. It's all good though, I'm just thrilled to have it, its such an awesome fixture! :)

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I would have preferred a smooth finish and in white to match my tank, but it wasn't even an option unfortunately. Apparently, this is the only one they offer at BRS. It's all good though, I'm just thrilled to have it, its such an awesome fixture! :)

Yeah, that's weird. Mine is a very dark charcoal grey with a little metallic flake in it, but it has a smooth, glossy finish to it. Since the top of my fixture is never really illuminated, most people just assume it's gloss black.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...so I've been going back and forth the last couple of days between the Aurora or using my Radion and adding two retro kits and building a floating canopy. The more I think about building something and not liking the way it turns out is pushing me more and more into going with the Aurora.

What do you think the best bulb combo would be for an LPS dominant tank? I'll have some softies too and maybe a new SPS.

Last edited:

sayitfast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wanting to get one of these for my new tank... my tank is 62 x 22.5 x 23.5 h.

Can I get away with a 48 inch model or do I need the 60? I want to have both SPS and LPS...

Also does the hanging kit come with the unit?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the 60" and the hanging kit is separate. Looked into them before I got my Reefbrite MH/LED unit.

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wanting to get one of these for my new tank... my tank is 62 x 22.5 x 23.5 h.

Can I get away with a 48 inch model or do I need the 60? I want to have both SPS and LPS...

Also does the hanging kit come with the unit?

Get the 60" and the hanging kit is separate.

The hanging kit actually does come with it. I didn't think it did either, so I ordered one... ended up returning it. ***NOTE***: I would still order the hanging kit though just to be safe and return it if you don't need it. The reason I say this is because there's clearly a difference between Mike's and mine, as far as finish. So maybe that's not the only thing they changed... as in maybe they don't include the hanging kit anymore!?! I'm sure @Mike_J can chime in on this, and confirm, since he just got his.

As far as size, I would also probably go with the 60" fixture. Although the 48" would be just fine... I run a 48" one on a 59" tank and have zero issues with coverage anywhere in the tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back