Giesemann vs ATI--help me out?!

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I think I've narrowed down the lighting choices to either the Aurora t5/LED or the ATI Powermodule t5/LED.

I have a 63" x 22"w x 25" RSM S 650. I am planning to have mostly SPS and some LPS.
Do you think I can get away with a 48" or would I need the 60"?

Also, I've never had t5 or LED as I've been out of hobby close to a decade. I read about needing to "burn in" t5s for 50 hours. Is that 50 hours of straight light? What do people do when they need to replace bulbs? Do I just keep them on for 2 days nonstop?

Thanks for any advice!

Goubli

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Like the look of the Giesemann light over a tank. Yes you can use a 48 over a 60, just raise the light up a little more above the tank.

You can always use a regular fluorescent in fixture to burn the bulbs in, in your garage then place them in your fixture.

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48 over a 60 is a good idea just raise the lights more than usual! Its actually better than having a bigger fixture because it gives the fixture room to breath on the sides! In my opinion ATI has the edge... but thats just because Iv seen some amazing tanks grown with their lights/bulbs. Also I have a 60' ATI on my 72" tank if that helps!

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you only burned them in if you were going to use the dimming mode? I have the powermodule 8x54 and i didn't burn mine in.

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has something to with the dimming of the bulbs if you use that function. Not real sure how but its to prolong the life of the bulbs.

OP
OP
G

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48 over a 60 is a good idea just raise the lights more than usual! Its actually better than having a bigger fixture because it gives the fixture room to breath on the sides! In my opinion ATI has the edge... but thats just because Iv seen some amazing tanks grown with their lights/bulbs. Also I have a 60' ATI on my 72" tank if that helps!

Thanks! I was originally leaning ATI but then had read about a lot of people having issues with ballasts not working and their original LEDs burning out.

So far one vote ATI, one for Giesemann

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you can go wrong with ati or giesemann but I like the look of the giesemann tubes better as well.

OP
OP
G

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you think the way to use the light best is to get most of the PAR and growth from the t5?

I am thinking about using the LED for mainly dawn/dusk and coloration effects. I imagine I can use them at lower intensity that way and not be as worried about acclimation. Is this a sound theory, or should I plan on running them at high intensity?

I like more of a crisp white minimal blue and no yellow look to my tanks. What would you suggest for tubes?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I think I've narrowed down the lighting choices to either the Aurora t5/LED or the ATI Powermodule t5/LED.

I have a 63" x 22"w x 25" RSM S 650. I am planning to have mostly SPS and some LPS.
Do you think I can get away with a 48" or would I need the 60"?

Also, I've never had t5 or LED as I've been out of hobby close to a decade. I read about needing to "burn in" t5s for 50 hours. Is that 50 hours of straight light? What do people do when they need to replace bulbs? Do I just keep them on for 2 days nonstop?

Thanks for any advice!

Goubli
Did your s650 come with t5 or the hydras?

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same boat as you with a similar sized tank... 60" x 22" x 20". I was choosing between the same exact two fixtures... I was also considering all T5 fixtures from both companies. I ended up going with the 48" Aurora. The two main reasons were aesthetics and BlueTooth control. The Giesemann fixtures really are art. You can't go wrong with either though. I would say the Giesemann is better looking, slightly better LED section and runs dead silent. The ATI has slightly better reflectors, easier on the wallet and comes in an 8-bulb version. Mine over my Red Sea tank:

IMG_4278 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_4434 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same boat as you with a similar sized tank... 60" x 22" x 20". I was choosing between the same exact two fixtures... I was also considering all T5 fixtures from both companies. I ended up going with the Aurora. The two main reasons were aesthetics and BlueTooth control. The Giesemann fixtures really are art. You can't go wrong with either though. I would say the Giesemann is better looking, slightly better LED section and runs dead silent. The ATI has slightly better reflectors, easier on the wallet and comes in an 8-bulb version. Mine over my Red Sea tank:

Simply Put... "Perfection"

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same boat as you with a similar sized tank... 60" x 22" x 20". I was choosing between the same exact two fixtures... I was also considering all T5 fixtures from both companies. I ended up going with the 48" Aurora. The two main reasons were aesthetics and BlueTooth control. The Giesemann fixtures really are art. You can't go wrong with either though. I would say the Giesemann is better looking, slightly better LED section and runs dead silent. The ATI has slightly better reflectors, easier on the wallet and comes in an 8-bulb version. Mine over my Red Sea tank:

Very nice. If you don't mind me asking, what powerheads are those that you have?

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you think the way to use the light best is to get most of the PAR and growth from the t5?

I am thinking about using the LED for mainly dawn/dusk and coloration effects. I imagine I can use them at lower intensity that way and not be as worried about acclimation. Is this a sound theory, or should I plan on running them at high intensity?

I like more of a crisp white minimal blue and no yellow look to my tanks. What would you suggest for tubes?
That's pretty much how I run my setup. I use the T5's mainly for growth and highest amount of white light for par.
I've ran both ATI aquablue special and Giesemann aquablue plus white tubes and like the Giesemann better. For me the Giesemann tubes are a crisper white and have a better hint of blue to them. The ATI tubes were brighter but did not seem to have enough of the crisp white/ blue in them as I would like.
I do however like the ATI coral plus better than the Giesemann aquablue as the white light for my setup. It definitely puts off the crisp white/Blue light that I like and still has good par.
I have 4 tubes on my 70g tank and only need 1 white t5 along with the white leds and colors to get more than enough par with coverage for good growth top to bottom.
Still I don't think you can go wrong with ATI or Giesemann. To me I couldn't tell much of a difference between the 2 brands when it comes to the blue plus and actinics. The ATI coral plus and Giesemann aquablue are definitely my favorite white tubes though.

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does the capability "dimmable" mean? As in you can control the intensity of the bulbs as well?

I ask because the 8 bulb T5/LED 60" from ATI is non dimmable. That's the size I was looking to get. But not sure if that feature is worth overlooking.

Also - any one know how easy is it to set the ATI up? I see above broadfield mentioned Bluetooth capability on the geiseman. aTI has no wireless or Bluetooth? Does it have a system on the fixture itself for this?

Sorry for all the questions. I am sure it will help Op and others.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. If you don't mind me asking, what powerheads are those that you have?

Those are the Neptune WAVs that work solely with the Apex.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back