OP
OP
G

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broadfield-that setup looks clean and sweet. I love it. I've been hearing a few recs on another thread to go 60" no question. I see that you've got a fair share of LPS, but I'd only want those at the very bottom and mostly open brains as I've had some experience w Euphyllia and don't want to complicate my tank w them on this build. How low in your tank do you think you can place SPS? Also, where would you need to place maxima clams?

Thanks!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broadfield-that setup looks clean and sweet. I love it. I've been hearing a few recs on another thread to go 60" no question. I see that you've got a fair share of LPS, but I'd only want those at the very bottom and mostly open brains as I've had some experience w Euphyllia and don't want to complicate my tank w them on this build. How low in your tank do you think you can place SPS? Also, where would you need to place maxima clams?

Thanks!
OP, those Giesemann's are sweet looking fixtures :)

Diamond Jack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw I bought the 48" matrixx ii 6 bulb for my reefer 525xl build. I mainly grow zoas and lps so I have zero concern about the light amount, but it will grow sps as well just fine. Also the fixture is so awesome looking. Black powder coating is super clean and the fixture is sturdy.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!

I have several SPS on the right side rock structure. Those photos I posted were from about 4 months ago. I have a fairly large Red Planet that has grown significantly since then. It is about 9" across.

Just a couple of SPS placement examples in my tank:

Red Planet: 6" BWL
Green Birdsnest: 12" BWL

My fixture is 9.5" AWL and I currently run it at about 50%. You can definitely grow SPS, at the very least lower light SPS, on the sandbed. I think this fixture would be perfect for an all SPS... because PAR does not drop off that much from top-to-bottom. However, my tank isn't super deep at 22".

OP
OP
G

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I saw some in the upper third of the tank. I just want to place them 3/4 of tank depth below water line. I am trying to avoid the look of having all my SPS at the top.

How accurate does the picture represent the way the color of the aquarium looks when standing in front of it? Also, is it possible to interchange t5 bulb types between fixtures? (ATI bulbs in Gies fixtures etc)

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I saw some in the upper third of the tank. I just want to place them 3/4 of tank depth below water line. I am trying to avoid the look of having all my SPS at the top.

How accurate does the picture represent the way the color of the aquarium looks when standing in front of it? Also, is it possible to interchange t5 bulb types between fixtures? (ATI bulbs in Gies fixtures etc)

The picture I posted is an exact representation of what the colors look like to the naked eye. Yes, any T5 bulb brands will work.

OP
OP
G

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help in this thread. Ultimately I went w Giesemann because I'd read a bunch of issues occurred w ATI and I think the overall look of the G unit is more cosmetically appealing. I did go with all ATI bulbs though based on advice/discussion w BRS.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help in this thread. Ultimately I went w Giesemann because I'd read a bunch of issues occurred w ATI and I think the overall look of the G unit is more cosmetically appealing. I did go with all ATI bulbs though based on advice/discussion w BRS.
@Goubli
Thanks for the update.
Congrats on your new Giesemann hybird.
They are truly "fine art" canopies :) and proud for you!

OP
OP
G

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Vols! I unwrapped it and took it out the other day. It's a beast! This is clearly the best lighting I'll have in my years in the hobby.

Broadfield- I told the guys at BRS that I generally like a crisp white with slighter lean to blue rather than daylight and that I was more likely to use the LED for making the tank color "correct" to my eye. In other words- I think that the t5 have better track record for even PAR throughout so will use them for the bulk of PAR. They recommended and I bought 2 ATI aqua blue specials, 1 purple plus, 1 coral plus. When I got home and reviewed the spectrum of those bulbs it appears I'll be supplementing a lot of blue with the LEDs.

What are your thoughts on this? I have only run VHO in the past so both modalities will be new for me.
Thanks for your time!

LostInTheDark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Vols! I unwrapped it and took it out the other day. It's a beast! This is clearly the best lighting I'll have in my years in the hobby.

Broadfield- I told the guys at BRS that I generally like a crisp white with slighter lean to blue rather than daylight and that I was more likely to use the LED for making the tank color "correct" to my eye. In other words- I think that the t5 have better track record for even PAR throughout so will use them for the bulk of PAR. They recommended and I bought 2 ATI aqua blue specials, 1 purple plus, 1 coral plus. When I got home and reviewed the spectrum of those bulbs it appears I'll be supplementing a lot of blue with the LEDs.

What are your thoughts on this? I have only run VHO in the past so both modalities will be new for me.
Thanks for your time!
I found the Aqua Blue specials to be too harsh for my tank. The coral plus and purple plus give a softer, more natural color. The Blue plus gives a nice touch of blue without being overly blue.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the Aqua Blue specials to be too harsh for my tank. The coral plus and purple plus give a softer, more natural color. The Blue plus gives a nice touch of blue without being overly blue.
+1
ABS = Washout :)

OP
OP
G

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1
ABS = Washout :)

Washout meaning what? Flat overall color/less contrast, or too white or yellow? Wouldn't I be able to overcome the color effects of the t5 with the LED supplement? I imagine the plan is to run LED dawn/dusk and ramp the t5 up for bulk of photoperiod.

Thanks again. Btw I just figured out it'll be a long while till the display is up and running as I have to cure a bunch of dry rock which will take months. UGH

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Washout meaning what? Flat overall color/less contrast, or too white or yellow? Wouldn't I be able to overcome the color effects of the t5 with the LED supplement? I imagine the plan is to run LED dawn/dusk and ramp the t5 up for bulk of photoperiod.

Thanks again. Btw I just figured out it'll be a long while till the display is up and running as I have to cure a bunch of dry rock which will take months. UGH
Goubli,

To me the ABS flattens out (washes out) my coral colors to the eye. Since ATI came out with the Coral + It makes my colors pop more than the ABS. JMO...

If you want a full daylight bulb like the ABS then slap in a KZ Gen ii. It's the best full daylight color spectrum bulb I've ever used and a par monster :)

@Broadfield or anybody who cares.
A little secret... If you want a more blue spectrum get the Red Sea "Reef Spec" 22K t5 bulbs.
Ran them for years and coralline explodes with them too. :D sshhh....

I'm running some KZ super blues used to run ATI B+ and going back to the RS 22k bulbs next month.

I will be staying with ATI C+, KZ Gen ii and the RS 22k Reef Spec's with my led's.
I'm running 6 t5's with my led's. Super Blues holes is where I'm putting RS 22k back in.
Front to Back
1)SB
2)KZ Gen ii
3)SB
Led's (whites at 40% / blues at 100%... during fulldayligt hours)
4)SB
5)C+
6)SB

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goubli,
If I had my way... I'd be running the Giesemann Spectra MH/T5 hydird like Broadfield, long ago.

Giesemann doesn't make it in a 36" fixture :(

If I can't get it from Giesemann then I don't want anybody else's 36" MH/T5.

I do have one last led mod to make in my mid section but it's going to be down the road and I'm going to have to saw off about 6 - 7 factory led's to pull it off.

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BMW or Mercedes. Tough choice.
Salty,
Good to see ya.

Guys, SFF is the lighting guru junkie :)

FYI: SFF, I've recouped $500 back from my $900 loss.

lol
Now I need someone who wants the RSM s 400 led kit frame...

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.5%

Back