Gilroy 425g Build Thread (All Apex, all the time)

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that Aquamaxx denitrator is very cool! So unique in the plumbing on the top. Did it come with that probe port on the top of the lid or did you do that? I ask bc I'm very interested in the use of a ORP probe to control or be a safety check for the denitrator reactor.
I will post more about this as I go. I have some interesting things I am going to try using my Apex gear.

I've used a Korallin BioDenitrator 1305 reactor on a few tanks now with great success. They are an awesome tool. I'm curious what the instructions say about what drip rate to start at and at what point to increase the drip rate and by how much? Like has been said, you will definitely smell it (kind of like rotten egg smell) when you need to increase the drip rate.

One issue I've had is, despite adjusting the drip rate with a 1/4" John Guest ball valve, the drip rate will eventually slow down, making you check and adjust it every day or so. I recently bought a higher end valve (1/4" Vertex needle gate valve) and hope that will solve the problem. We'll see as I haven't installed it yet. What ball valve are you using?
Right now I am using their included pinch valve which I think will be better than using a JG valve. That said, it is likely that, like my calcium reactor, I may use my DOS to push the water through the reactor. That way, I can regulate exactly how much I want to send through and even change the dosing (effluent rate) based on the ORP itself. Using the DOS would mean no clogging potential too.

Also if you don't mind, how often does AquaMaxx say to change out the sulfer beads and how often to clean them? And do they explain how they advise you clean them? I love my Korallin unit but the directions they gave with the reactor were crap.

I used to use an AquaMaxx biopellet reactor and was impressed with the performance and build quality so if I ever have an issue with my Korallin Im happy that I can turn to a AquaMaxx as a replacement. Thanks!
I will have to ask Joseph at @MarineDepot on the replacement interval for the media. I have high hopes for this SD. They have received a bad rap in the past, but with the addition of the Apex, I think I really can make something that can be easily dialed in, maintained, and ultimately have safety stops built into it.

Damion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is why you use the ORP probe. With an eye on the ORP, should anything go wrong, I can cut the flow off via a solenoid valve plugged into my Apex Energy Bar 832 DC24 port (those will be on the market soon)
Don't you have to be able to read negative ORP values to correctly determine if you are in the right parameters of your sulphur denitrator? Apex doesn't do that yet...?
(Unless you reverse the polarity of the probe)

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't you have to be able to read negative ORP values to correctly determine if you are in the right parameters of your sulphur denitrator? Apex doesn't do that yet...?

Glad someone asked. There are a couple of options. One is to fashion your own "crossover" connector and then the negative ORP will read positive. The other is to set the ORP port to be used as pH and then there is a translation value that can be used. I will cover this more when I get there (when my ORP actually starts dropping in the denitrator it will become more of a priority.)

Damion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose "someone" could fashion a crossover cable with a male to female bnc connector and maybe even a dpdt switch in the middle of it to switch the polarity how you need it.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terence, I have been running the Aquamaxx TS-1 SD for 7 months now, and have had 2 die offs. Just kept it running and it cleared itself in a couple days. Thing is a godsend for me. I have never had a clog but check the flow every night. Once it got dialed in I got no smell what so ever

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got through reading this whole build thread.. Gotta say it has been super interesting. Cool idea going under your house..
Sure is intimidating for a beginner trying to get a handle on all the different systems you are integrating.. I am going to implement a UV sterilizer into my upcoming build because of your input so thank you for that..

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Knowing that people take the time to read what I write and can take something away from my experiences is very rewarding for me. People like you responding and letting me know it is worthwhile and helpful is what helps keep me doing it!

We reading boss!!!

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Die offs? Do you mean the bacteria?
Yes exactly, water in the chamber turns cloudy and the output effluent is very cloudy. It turns the tank cloudy, but not too bad. It usually clears up in a day.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that happened because of a clogged and slowed down line? This is one of the reasons I want to have a solenoid and the ORP going on this.

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don't think so, thinking more because the bacteria ran out of food?

57buick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terence, Have you ever considered running an algae scrubber? I love mine for soaking up nutrients naturally. Just cleaned the screen today and dumped a crap load of algae in the trash. There is no danger or downside to running one, it's well documented. Easy. What most commercial aquariums use

algae scrubber 2week cleaning.jpg

algae scrubber pile.jpg

57buick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is an L16 model from Turbo Aquatics and its rated to soak up the equivalent of 16 cubes per day of nutrients from feeding

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates at 10, and your adding a denitrator?? I would be happy with 10. My tank struggles to maintain nitrates above 1.

Your corals won't be too happy losing those nitrates. I think I read brads tank had nitrates hit 70, so I understand why he runs one. But his tank is old and it's probably a necessity. I would have waited until a real issue with nitrates arose before adding a denitrator.

Damion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that happened because of a clogged and slowed down line? This is one of the reasons I want to have a solenoid and the ORP going on this.
Would you run it in batches according to ORP and then open the solenoid? (The sudden new influx of nsw would probably cause a die off, so I probably don't follow you correctly)
But that's exactly what happens with my methanol denitrator. I run 6 batches a day. Slimy bacteria wouldn't be conducive to an ORP probe. :(

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terence, Have you ever considered running an algae scrubber? I love mine for soaking up nutrients naturally. Just cleaned the screen today and dumped a crap load of algae in the trash. There is no danger or downside to running one, it's well documented. Easy. What most commercial aquariums use

There are a few issues with Algae Scrubbers for me - 1. For the size tank I have, it will be at least 150W of light I would imagine - lots of $ at $0.30 per kwh. 2. I have to maintain the flow and the parts and most of all, the algae removing. 3. I just don't want to have something that big - that would be necessary for my size tank.

Nitrates at 10, and your adding a denitrator?? I would be happy with 10. My tank struggles to maintain nitrates above 1.

Your corals won't be too happy losing those nitrates. I think I read brads tank had nitrates hit 70, so I understand why he runs one. But his tank is old and it's probably a necessity. I would have waited until a real issue with nitrates arose before adding a denitrator.

Brad's tank has a lot of biology to help with the balance of Nitrates in his tank. Also, I have been seeing the rise for a few months and it will keep going unless I have something in place. I have a bunch more fish planned for the beginning of 2017 and that means more waste. You are right that if I get it too low it will not be good. I am going to kick off the bacteria, get the flow right and see how it moves down while at the same time upping my food and waste in the tank.

You very well may be right - For me, if I can get more of the fuel in - and the waster byproducts out - the benefits will be there. One key reason why Brads nitrates have never been much of an issue is that he has that denitrator - it is just undersized now most likely.

I would be happy with 10 as well.......
I will be happy keeping it at 10. Keeping is the key word.

Would you run it in batches according to ORP and then open the solenoid? (The sudden new influx of nsw would probably cause a die off, so I probably don't follow you correctly)
But that's exactly what happens with my methanol denitrator. I run 6 batches a day. Slimy bacteria wouldn't be conducive to an ORP probe. :(
No, not so infrequently. First off there are two variables here - flow through and recirculating. I think I can get by with only running the recirculating pump 10 minutes every hour. On the flow through, I can adjust the flow rate and the frequency with the DOS. If I run water through say 180 ml/min for a min every third minute when ORP is high (meaning low when inverted), then I can switch to say 120ml every three minutes when ORP is low (high)

Damion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should get a handle on it. Thanks for sharing. It's been accepted to frequently crash those sulfur denitrators as par for the course, but truly controlling it based on data, should keep it humming right along, not to mention the head pressure from the DOS barreling through clogs.
Pulling or pushing pass through?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back