Give A Hand With Triton Results and High Barium Levels

Bubblebass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my Triton results the other day after my tank's 1 year birthday. 120g with 40g sump. I have always had a hard time controlling NO and a few months back was battling GHA. Started BRS GFO and carbon in a dual reactor and all the algae went away...but so did a lot of my corals. I think I stripped my water. So I took my GFO offline and things started improving. I wanted to see where my tests would be now. I dose NOPOX for nitrates and they are around 35 still. I am bringing up salinity a little as well as CA. I use Aquaforest Probiotic salt. My TDS isn't great at this point (35ish), but the tests show it probably isn't metals at least. Alk runs around 8.6.

Obviously, if the test is to be believed, my BA is way too high. Not sure where this could come from or what to do about this.

Should I worry about dosing K or I? Other help? Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• doc.pdf
    118.8 KB · Views: 173

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the barium is an issue. Some folks have linked it to a particular brand of GFO in Europe, but I don't recall the brand or know if it is true.

I'd boost the potassium to 400 ppm.

I don't think that iodine is useful supplement in reef tanks (I and many others have tried it and found no benefit), but testing its effect for yourself is easy enough.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"My TDS isn't great at this point (35ish), but the tests show it probably isn't metals at least. Alk runs around 8.6."

TDS of what? Your RO/DI?

OP
OP
Bubblebass

Bubblebass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the barium is an issue. Some folks have linked it to a particular brand of GFO in Europe, but I don't recall the brand or know if it is true.

I'd boost the potassium to 400 ppm.

I don't think that iodine is useful supplement in reef tanks (I and many others have tried it and found no benefit), but testing its effect for yourself is easy enough.

Would you do anything about the S, Sr or Mo?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sulfate (S) is very low, and either is a salt mix issue, or you've used calcium chloride for a long time without the necessary magnesium sulfate (or other balancing sulfate source).

How do you supplement calcium?

I wouldn't do anything about strontium except not dose it. Nothing special about molybdenum.

OP
OP
Bubblebass

Bubblebass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sulfate (S) is very low, and either is a salt mix issue, or you've used calcium chloride for a long time without the necessary magnesium sulfate (or other balancing sulfate source).

How do you supplement calcium?

I wouldn't do anything about strontium except not dose it. Nothing special about molybdenum.

Lately, my calcium and mag haven't changed enough to supplement. When I do, I test and dose mag and calcium separately. Magnesion-p and Seachem reef advantage calcium. Try to maintain 440 and 1350.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lately, my calcium and mag haven't changed enough to supplement. When I do, I test and dose mag and calcium separately. Magnesion-p and Seachem reef advantage calcium. Try to maintain 440 and 1350.

What salt mix? That's the only other cause for low sulfate.

OP
OP
Bubblebass

Bubblebass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquaforest Probiotic Reef Salt. It's labeled 840-890 S.

Strange. Is that something I can/should bump up with a supplement?

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't a low S level in salt good while dosing 2-part? ( I think I read that dosing will raise S).

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back