Glass Anenome?

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure it's one of those in the picture, but wanted confirmation. I first noticed one on one of my zoa frags that I had purchased, and being your typical dude, tried to pick it off before reading up on it. My next question is do I get a peppermint shrimp (if that's what eats these little monsters) now, or let them spread a little?

The saltwater aquarium is so cool, but I didn't realize how clueless I am about the whole thing. There is so much to learn and experience in this hobby.

Thanks everyone for your help/guidance.

DSC_0558.JPG

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, aiptasia. Nuke it now before it's too late! Peppermint shrimp are hit or miss.

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search aiptasia here and you'll get a lot of great info on different means of removal. My phone for some reason won't allow me to copy and paste links. Good luck!

1MCp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know many people are against our pincered friends but in my opinion my emerald crab is doing a fanfreakingtastic job of getting rid of these and ALL other algae on my live rock. It's not picking at corals either. I might have been lucky

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know many people are against our pincered friends but in my opinion my emerald crab is doing a fanfreakingtastic job of getting rid of these and ALL other algae on my live rock. It's not picking at corals either. I might have been lucky

You're emerald eats aiptasia?

OP
OP
saltnewb

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know if this was too much or not. Below are pictures of the "nuke" station. Afterwards, I rinsed and scrubbed the area...I'll let you know if it was effective in time. Lol! Also in the process, you may be able to see it in the third picture, an asternia star came out as well. Bonus!

DSC_0559.JPG

DSC_0560.JPG

DSC_0561.JPG

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use Aiptasia X, Joe's Juice (think that is the name), Nudi's (which I just spent $120 on for 10 of them), peppermint shrimp (@Mike_J is right, they are hit and miss) or take the rock out and place it in the sun (if you can). I have about 20-25 in my 75g so I am trying out the nudibranch approach. Peppermint shrimp didn't work for me.

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know if this was too much or not. Below are pictures of the "nuke" station. Afterwards, I rinsed and scrubbed the area...I'll let you know if it was effective in time. Lol! Also in the process, you may be able to see it in the third picture, an asternia star came out as well. Bonus!

DSC_0559.JPG

DSC_0560.JPG

DSC_0561.JPG
Make sure to swish it around in fresh saltwater to get any spores that might have be released, off of the rock. Looks like you are on the right track.

1MCp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also had a friend that took the infected rock out and took a toothbrush to scrub them out, or inject some lemon juice on them

OP
OP
saltnewb

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use Aiptasia X, Joe's Juice (think that is the name), Nudi's (which I just spent $120 on for 10 of them), peppermint shrimp (@Mike_J is right, they are hit and miss) or take the rock out and place it in the sun (if you can). I have about 20-25 in my 75g so I am trying out the nudibranch approach. Peppermint shrimp didn't work for me.

Wish I could put it in the sun. Unfortunately it was on a rock with GSP on it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back