Going on vacation with seahorse

Southpawzzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am wanting to get a few H. Erectus seahorse and wondering if I can ever leave home without feeding them and if it is ok if I skip a day if gone without to much health issue. I have a nabiour that just retired and they can only do it occasionally because there on the move alot.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am wanting to get a few H. Erectus seahorse and wondering if I can ever leave home without feeding them and if it is ok if I skip a day if gone without to much health issue. I have a nabiour that just retired and they can only do it occasionally because there on the move alot.
Yes, if you are feeding your seahorses regularly 2Xs or 3Xs a day then it is actually recommended by Pete Gwonjna that you skip 1 day a week, (or feed live artemia which is barren of nutrition) to prevent your seahorses from developing too much fat around their liver. 1 day occasionally will not hurt them.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That won't prevent them from getting fatty liver disease, just an FYI.

I agree that a day or 2 won't hurt them, as I've done it, but I wouldn't go more than that.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That won't prevent them from getting fatty liver disease, just an FYI.

I had heard that about fatty liver disease which is why I referenced Pete Gwonjna.
My Eve is the biggest chow hound and rather round. Sometimes I worry she could get it. Do you believe that some seahorses are predispositioned to it?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the food we feed them and the fat is usually not very varied and we feed them a lot. Think of it along the lines of stuffing yourself everyday and then fasting on Sunday, unfortunately it doesn't negate your week long binge.

We were lucky years ago to have a pathologist on the seahorse forum who would do necropsies on hobbyist's deceased horses. He did at least a couple hundred and fatty livers was a common finding, even if the death was due to something else.

Last edited:

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the food we feed them and the fat is usually not very varied and we feed them a lot. Think of it along the lines of stuffing yourself everyday and then fasting on Sunday, unfortunately it doesn't negate your week long binge.

We were lucky years ago to have a pathologist on the seahorse forum who would do necropsies on hobbyist's deceased horses. He did at least a couple hundred and fatty livers was a common finding, even if the death was due to something else.
I figured the only way someone could know that it was fatty liver disease was by an autopsie type procedure.
I wonder if PE mysis is worse than Hikari? I have heard that it has a higher fat content. My ponies will only eat Hikari or San Francisco Bay.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.8%
Back