Golden Dwarf Moray Eel Experience?

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about adding a golden dwarf moray eel to my IM nuvo 40. Its a soft coral reef with minimal inverts. I have a velentini puffer so the cleanup crew consists of a short spine urchin and some hermits. I do have a smaller pair of clownfish, but I would wait until they were larger.

Some of my concerns:

Is the tank big enough (40g total/little over 30g display)?
How worried should I be about fish getting eaten (or attacked)?
How difficult are they compared to other eels?

Currently I just have the puffer and clownfish pair but here's my future fish plan:
Royal Gramma
Goby/Pistol Shrimp
Possibly Green Mandarin

Would there be any compatibility issues with these fish. My main concern would be the goby and pistol shrimp. Do you think the goby would help protect the shrimp?

Thank you for the help!

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with these but if an eel wants something and it can fit in their mouth it's gone. I've got a chainlink and know a goby couldn't protect the shrimp and vice versa. A tight fitting lid is a must as eels are escape artist and will find the smallest of holes.

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a golden dwarf and it rarely if at all leaves the rock it calls home. I've small clowns and fish less than 2 inches swim right in its face and it doesn't do a thing. In comparison to my snowflake that I had years ago, all small fish would be dinner.
It doesn't bother the shrimp and actuLly I've seen the cleaner shrimp cleaning the inside of its mouth. I know I have a rather larger than typical tank but my point of it never leaving its rock, if I had a 20 gallon tank it would be large enough-I've a friend with a 40 and his Golden is plenty happy.

I would not hesitate to get one, that being said they don't come out often at all, to the point if I could catch mine I'd get rid of it, it pokes its head out every now and then, I'd be happy with a weekly or bi monthly swim out to say "he look at me, I'm the coolest" LOL

HTH

A Reefer's Girlfriend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had two - on my second one right now. Given their reputation for going after small fish, I have deliberately kept mine in with my bigger ones. That being said, he is rather shy of my fish, and will shrink back if one swims too near. On the other hand, I have seen my first one go after hermit crabs aggressively, and I am fairly certain my current one ate a couple peppermint shrimp. However, he leaves my big fire shrimp alone. I have heard that they are reef safe with caution if you keep them well fed, but YMMV.

I've had mixed experiences with their personalities too. My first one was a full adult when I got him, and he had his head out constantly, and would go for occasional swims around the tank. My current one I got as a tiny baby, and he was incredibly shy at first. However, as time has gone on and he has grown, he has become much more inclined to have his head out. I find him in one of several hiding spots almost every day, and he is very quick to come out for the feeding stick when he is hungry.

Overall, would definitely recommend them, but I would worry about them with the goby/pistol shrimp. Depending on the size of your eel, those are easily dinner.

A Reefer's Girlfriend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something else to consider is 30 gallons is I believe about the minimum recommended size for those eels, although yes, they spend a lot of time in the rocks. I would worry more about your bioload on that size tank, especially with a puffer too. Those are two pretty messy eaters for a small tank.

Bangai64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one for two years never touched anything. I have banded shrimp, harlequins, and never bothered with any of them. Will tear up some krill though and the occasional finger when he misses. Lol!

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one for two years never touched anything. I have banded shrimp, harlequins, and never bothered with any of them. Will tear up some krill though and the occasional finger when he misses. Lol!
You haven't owned an eel til you've been bit lol

chomoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one would do just fine in your tank. I had one for years... They are very unique and enjoyable!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back