Got a weird one..

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't able to get good pictures so I took a video. Here's the deal. I got in 12 yellow tangs and every single one of them has these nodules on them. I thought, initially that it was flukes which I confirmed with a freshwater dip.... meaning I dipped one and saw flukes come off him and in the bucket after. The nodules didn't come off though. I dosed prazipro and the nodules didn't come off, but there were flukes in all of them which I found dead at the bottom of the barebottom tanks. Lovely. So after all this, I looked really close and it looks like these parts of the skin has ballooned out in these small spots.

My coworker decided that I'm an idiot and he was going to do surgery on one of the Yellow tangs. I didnt watch since I didn't think it necessary at all. I dont think it worked because I didn't hear anything from him about it.

So here I am looking to get some extra eyes on this deal. They look like boils or something!
@Humblefish @4FordFamily

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it look anything like this?

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sir. More like a bubble - might be filled with fluid (my current theory)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sir. More like a bubble - might be filled with fluid (my current theory)

What I see in the video sorta looks like Lympho, but what you are describing sounds more like a bacterial disease. I would be tempted to treat them with the Kanaplex, Metroplex, Furan-2 combo and see if that clears it. Wish I lived closer; I'd like to buy one of them and take a skin scrape before treating.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I see in the video sorta looks like Lympho, but what you are describing sounds more like a bacterial disease. I would be tempted to treat them with the Kanaplex, Metroplex, Furan-2 combo and see if that clears it. Wish I lived closer; I'd like to buy one of them and take a skin scrape before treating.

I know right! One of the twelve ended up with a pretty bad infection - was a bright red streak from the spine up the dorsal fin. He's in a QT with a butterfly that has a few problems and a group of chromis. They are currently being treated with that very combo. I may have to wait a bit until this grouping of fish gets done to treat the other 11 tangs. Hard to do in a 40 breeder, but maybe in batches.

Anyway, I think he had a nodule too, so I'll keep a close eye on it and see what happens in the meds. He's only been in it for 24 hours +/-

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I have never heard of or seen anything like that! I'm sorry I'm worthless on this one! Please keep us posted!

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I have never heard of or seen anything like that! I'm sorry I'm worthless on this one! Please keep us posted!

Dang, was hoping you might have seen it before with all the tangs you've kept. I'll let you guys know what happens. I'm expecting to find a severely infected tang (the one with the senseless surgery) when I get to work tomorrow

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, was hoping you might have seen it before with all the tangs you've kept. I'll let you guys know what happens. I'm expecting to find a severely infected tang (the one with the senseless surgery) when I get to work tomorrow
Most likely. No I've never seen or heard of anything like that before!

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So here's the Yellow Tang that went into QT - I think- Friday. My time is all messed up let me tell ya. ANYWAY! You can see in the picture, the red arrow is pointed at the offending weird bubble infection thing ( gotta think of a better name) and the blue arrow is pointing at the area that was infected and showing a dark red streak. He's been in Kanaplex, metroplex and furan 2 since friday. You can see the redness is fading quickly and looking quite a bit better already. The bubble doesn't appear to have changed shape, but I didn't take any pictures the first day. I'll use today's photo for further reference in size.
13680698_1468975306461307_4270128650960536477_n.jpg

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and my pictures still stink. This guy is FAST and apparently despises getting his picture taken.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@melypr1985 The YT I am treating here has redness around the crown of it's face and near the eyes: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/oxygen-while-using-meds.258949/#post-3067334

The aquatics dept. manager tells me every YT they get in with this redness dies within a week. I am trying just Kanaplex & Metroplex out on it and the redness does seem to be subsiding. I haven't added Furan-2 yet because that would turn the water yellow and we can't have that. ;)

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@melypr1985 The YT I am treating here has redness around the crown of it's face and near the eyes: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/oxygen-while-using-meds.258949/#post-3067334

The aquatics dept. manager tells me every YT they get in with this redness dies within a week. I am trying just Kanaplex & Metroplex out on it and the redness does seem to be subsiding. I haven't added Furan-2 yet because that would turn the water yellow and we can't have that. ;)

I saw that the other day. Mine looked like somebody had taken a paintbrush and streaked red from the spine up the dorsal in a thin streak. I didn't see any other redness and it showed up on just his second day at the store. I might buy one of these tangs and treat him at home, though I'm at the store more than I'm home, so it's a little easier to experiment there on their dime ;)

Oh and I dont mind turning the water yellow at all! It promps the customers to ask questions and I can tell them all about it.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so odd. The distribution system for these guys is absolutely hitting rock bottom..

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so odd. The distribution system for these guys is absolutely hitting rock bottom..

I'm wondering how many others last week got tangs like this. We ordered 12 and all 12 had this. It's so weird and sad. If I were in control I'd be calling the supplier and having a long talk about the quality they have been sending us and why it's happening so often.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if they were captured as a school with these bumps?

I can't say what they are, but if nobody else can either and they a appear to be causing no distress, then I would try not to worry about it. The red streaking and the flat worms are a different story though.

Are the remaining 11 (I think not being treated?) eating well and living with gusto?

For what it's worth, I do remember seeing this before, but it's been too long to remember much about it.....my guess it that it didn't cause problems or I'd remember something. Aside from flatworms this time of year, Yellow Tangs have typically been problem free so something weird/bad should stand out.

jenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't able to get good pictures so I took a video. Here's the deal. I got in 12 yellow tangs and every single one of them has these nodules on them. I thought, initially that it was flukes which I confirmed with a freshwater dip.... meaning I dipped one and saw flukes come off him and in the bucket after. The nodules didn't come off though. I dosed prazipro and the nodules didn't come off, but there were flukes in all of them which I found dead at the bottom of the barebottom tanks. Lovely. So after all this, I looked really close and it looks like these parts of the skin has ballooned out in these small spots.

My coworker decided that I'm an idiot and he was going to do surgery on one of the Yellow tangs. I didnt watch since I didn't think it necessary at all. I dont think it worked because I didn't hear anything from him about it.

So here I am looking to get some extra eyes on this deal. They look like boils or something!
@Humblefish @4FordFamily

I would lean toward some kind of chemical irritation that has caused this secondary reaction. Just a guess though. If it is a chemical irritation, you would want to treat with antibiotics to prevent secondary infection.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back