Got the Bug upgrading to a 90 Gallon with a bunch of DIY!!

quik95lt1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newish to the forum and only about a year into my salt/reef experience, I have learned a TON from my 47 gallon column I have now with just a snowflake clown, scarlet cleaner shrimp and some inverts and a Kenya tree and zoa, but I've had enough of the "wet armpit" syndrome trying to work on it and I want something with more swimming space, so I'm going up to a 90 Gallon that will be installed in my new house in the bedroom with a custom stand, just at the beginning stages of the build but figured I'd share ideas with others and others can share with me, or perhaps stop me from making a mistake they have before I do it lol.......

The initial build parts are as follows:
90 Gallon Reef Ready Marineland Tank Plumbing with the "Herbie" Method
Trigger Systems Crystal 30 Sump (Already Have)
Reef Octopus Varios-4 Return Pump
One more AI 26HD to add to the one I have already on my 47 that will migrate over
A slew of Hydor Koralia Powerheads (some which will come from my 47 also)
For a skimmer I'm between a Bubble Magus Curve 5 or the New Tunze 9410.001, I have to stay short because my stand is only 25" tall inside, I want the Tunze but its double the price of the Bubble Magus, more than likely I will bite the bullet and get the Tunze, BRS recommended me the Skimz Monzter 143 but the reviews look terrible on it so I may not go with that recommendation

I bought 50 lbs of BRS dry rock which is currently curing in a Brute can which will be added to the 50lbs of LR that will come out of my 47 when the 90 gets running.

Anyway here is a pic of the stand I built, yes its short only 26" to the top but this will be under my wall hanging TV in the bedroom as part of a piece of furniture, once the tank portion is complete I will be building two cabinet/shelves to go on the sides to give the wife decoration space as well as me space for controller/automation for the tank that I can tie into my home automation (Electrical Engineer day job lol), going to stain it tonight to match the room, I'll post up more pics tomorrow......

STAND 1.JPG

STAND.JPG

xviijdx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too shabby! Just my two cents, If you can i would make your side panels removable Just better for cleaning.

OP
OP
quik95lt1

quik95lt1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too shabby! Just my two cents, If you can i would make your side panels removable Just better for cleaning.
Thanks!! :D but, I cant that's where the shelving/cabinetry is going, that's why the top molding only goes back about 6" that's where the shelves on the sides start, was the majority of the reason for going overkill on the frame of the stand because I intended on leaving the front open with no support for easy access, going to build two French style doors for the front so it opens wide up

OP
OP
quik95lt1

quik95lt1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the tank with the rest of the trim on it and one coat of stain.........also wound up buying the new Bubble Magus Curve A5 with the DC pump today....

20170112_183808_2.jpg
20170112_183815_2.jpg

OP
OP
quik95lt1

quik95lt1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you gunna put plywood on the inside bottom?
yes I already did, ill update tonight been quite busy......got all the equipment in short of the tank itself this week.....I need to build the two cabinet/shelving towers now for the sides

OP
OP
quik95lt1

quik95lt1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't updated in a while been quite busy, got all the equipment in and the tank itself, got all the plumbing marked up last night
20170207_210023.jpg
20170207_210030.jpg
20170207_210037.jpg
20170207_210051.jpg

Back