Green hair algae pops up in your tank. Whats the first thing you do? Tank Talk Thursday

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

scoobysnack77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, just so I'm clear, a trace amount of phosphate and nitrate is good, even for sps?
Absolutely, i know one of the red sea's marine biologists and he told me that on the phone. he said " your corals will starve without ANY nitrate and phosphates" unless your running a zeovit system. but in my opinion zeovit tanks look great but the corals are starving. its kind of cruel in my eyes. if everyone thought starving dogs looked great would you bearly feed your dog and when u did it was some chemical to make it shine? i sure hope not. i love and respect ALL living things so if I have the honor to get to have life in captivity i want whatever it is to be well fed and happy, not starved just to look good. sorry about the rant lol

jsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added an Emerald crab thinking it would eat the gha. Instead after a few weeks I caught it with a claw wrapped around my baby foxface's tail. I quickly, and furiously removed him. I was so ****** I fed the emerald to my bubble tip anemone. Phosgaurd and weekly water changed cured my algae issue.

scoobysnack77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing beats a good cleanup crew. My one spot foxface loves algae so I always leave some for him and my kole tang

VABumpkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely, i know one of the red sea's marine biologists and he told me that on the phone. he said " your corals will starve without ANY nitrate and phosphates" unless your running a zeovit system. but in my opinion zeovit tanks look great but the corals are starving. its kind of cruel in my eyes. if everyone thought starving dogs looked great would you bearly feed your dog and when u did it was some chemical to make it shine? i sure hope not. i love and respect ALL living things so if I have the honor to get to have life in captivity i want whatever it is to be well fed and happy, not starved just to look good. sorry about the rant lol

Only Zeovit tanks that don't follow the system are starved. In Zeovit you have to purchase many different foods and nutrient supplements for the corals. The way it works is that Nitrates and Phosphates are removed by bacteria in the zeolites, so the corals have to be fed with nutrient dense, specially formulated foods in order to hold the pastel colors. If someone running zeolites didn't dose the foods and other additives regularly, the corals would bleach and eventually die. They're fed more often than conventional aquariums I would reckon.

Last edited:

scoobysnack77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only Zeovit tanks that don't follow the system are starved. In Zeovit you have to purchase many different foods and nutrient supplements for the corals. The way it works is that Nitrates and Phosphates are removed by bacteria in the zeolites, so the corals have to be fed with nutrient dense, specially formulated foods in order to hold the pastel colors. If someone running zeolites didn't dose the foods and other additives regularly, the corals would bleach and eventually die. They're fed more often than conventional aquariums I would reckon.
True but you can't say that artificial diets are better than organic diets such as frozen oyster eggs instead of highly concentrated artificial concoctions. I do like zeovit tank appearance but I've seen even better tanks that had very low nutrients and fed organically . It's just ones preference . I think zeovit is a bit overpriced but is effective. My friend in my neighborhood had a sps dominated tank where he uses red seas no/pox to keep his nitrates at .50 and his phosphates at .002 and his corals will level you with thier beauty

scoobysnack77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True but you can't say that artificial diets are better than organic diets such as frozen oyster eggs instead of highly concentrated artificial concoctions. I do like zeovit tank appearance but I've seen even better tanks that had very low nutrients and fed organically . It's just ones preference . I think zeovit is a bit overpriced but is effective. My friend in my neighborhood had a sps dominated tank where he uses red seas no/pox to keep his nitrates at .50 and his phosphates at .002 and his corals will level you with thier beauty

What is main food from zeovit that feeds zero nutrient tanks? Coral vitalize? Just curious

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing I do is relax. My CUC will take care of it. I used to freak out and do water change after water change, but now I just let nature take it's course and only step in and do something if I have to.

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue hippo in my tank now being eaten and decaying. No algae, the corals haven't faded or browned. I had my old crocea die recently after almost ten years and I let it die and get eaten by the tank. I really don't think there is much that could cause an algal outbreak in my tank.

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is main food from zeovit that feeds zero nutrient tanks? Coral vitalize? Just curious

There are many supplements most of which deal with colour issues, but feeding supplements would be:
The bacterial 'mulm' that comes off the zeolites when you shake the reactor
Zeofood 7
Coral Vitalizer
ZeoVit AA
Sponge power
Pohl's Xtra

OP
OP
B

BSchlecht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue hippo in my tank now being eaten and decaying. No algae, the corals haven't faded or browned. I had my old crocea die recently after almost ten years and I let it die and get eaten by the tank. I really don't think there is much that could cause an algal outbreak in my tank.

Sounds like a pretty durable tank. I wish I had a crocea that was 10 years old, that must have gotten to a pretty good size!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back