Green hair algae pops up in your tank. Whats the first thing you do? Tank Talk Thursday

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
B

BSchlecht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, crocea only get to about 4 inches. They are the smallest of the tridacna.
I have heard rumors of them getting up to 6" but never actually talked to someone directly that can confirm it themselves. It is always a "friend of a friend" :)

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was only the second clam I ever owned. I bought a new maxima and the crocea died a few days later. I was trying to get three. I still only have one though.

OP
OP
B

BSchlecht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good run for your second clam! I have had pretty mixed results myself. Usually it seems like you will know how it is going to turn out in a matter of weeks though.

scoobysnack77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many supplements most of which deal with colour issues, but feeding supplements would be:
The bacterial 'mulm' that comes off the zeolites when you shake the reactor
Zeofood 7
Coral Vitalizer
ZeoVit AA
Sponge power
Pohl's Xtra
reason why I ask is because sometimes my nutrients drop to zero and I might need something to nourish them until my nitrate and phosphates return a few days after my water change

OP
OP
B

BSchlecht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to say there aren't benefits to those supplements otherwise, but I wouldn't worry about not having enough nitrate and phosphate in the water unless you are running some sort of ultra low nutrient system like ZeoVit :) It is true that things like phosphates are critical to biological processes, buy the amounts needed are far below the range of most test kits. Unless your running a ULNS it isn't likely that your ever going to get there :) Natural seawater levels of those nutrients are at below 0.01, so 0's on your tests for those things are a good thing. It is the levels higher then that you want to be more concerned about. Phosphate prevents precipitation and in amounts higher then .03ppm (still below the test range of most test kits) encourage nuisance algae growth.

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use the supplements, not the whole system. They work though. People that come buy my frags always ask why my corals are so bright and colorful.

OP
OP
B

BSchlecht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a fan of sponge power myself. It is also a good one you can use even if you aren't using the rest of the system.

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do coral vitalizer, sponge power, amino acid high concentrate, stylo pocci glow, and iron concentrate.

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Vitalizer is probably the best over all at increasing color and polyp extension. Sponge Power is a close second though. It really makes the tip color move further into the branches.

OP
OP
B

BSchlecht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point, I have always interpreted "longer color tips" as the tips would grow, not that the color would move from existing point further back into the coral, but that makes a lot of sense. In my experience I have always seen the whole coral improve.

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I like the stylo pocci glow as much. I'm playing with reducing the dosage but it just seemed to make my stylos look washed out.

OP
OP
B

BSchlecht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used that one in a long time. It is designed to reduce the zooxanthellae population so depending on the coral I would imagine you could see some mixed results.

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The iron supplement works very well. It's really brought out the green in a corals that was fairly brown before.

OP
OP
B

BSchlecht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience as well. Just have to be careful not to overdose that one or you might run into increased algae growth.

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing less than the recommended dosage. I'm going to increase until gets to where I want it.

Back