Green star polyps not opening.

JacksonReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed a small colony of Gsp in my tank yesterday afternoon. A few polyps began to slightly open but today I turned on the light today and they didn't open I have a Powerhead pointing at them. The light is plenty don't know what might be going on.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed a small colony of Gsp in my tank yesterday afternoon. A few polyps began to slightly open but today I turned on the light today and they didn't open I have a Powerhead pointing at them. The light is plenty don't know what might be going on.
Make sure the power head is not too much direct hitting them.
I have three patches of Gsp. Sometimes their open and sometimes they close for awhile. It's normal.

Again, Check for too much direct flow and patients :)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ditto what GoVols said, they can be finicky.

AND....

How much light were they under where they came from?

If you don't have a light meter, you probably don't know how much light they are currently under...so maybe start there.

If you don't have a light meter, then for the time being* the quickest solution is a lux meter app for your phone. Take some reference readings (daylight, for example) to make sure the app is fully compatible with your camera. If it seems to give good readings, take some samples over your tank where the colony is and if possible go sample the light where they came from with the same light meter.

Make note of all significant differences in lighting between their setup and yours as that will figure into the comparison.

* I would order a lux meter like mine (a $15 "lx-1010b") to keep for general use. Get a PAR meter if you can afford one. I don't think the apps are totally reliable, but still better than nothing. I only recommend them while you don't yet have your hands on a real meter. :)

OP
OP
JacksonReef

JacksonReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto what GoVols said, they can be finicky.

AND....

How much light were they under where they came from?

If you don't have a light meter, you probably don't know how much light they are currently under...so maybe start there.

If you don't have a light meter, then for the time being* the quickest solution is a lux meter app for your phone. Take some reference readings (daylight, for example) to make sure the app is fully compatible with your camera. If it seems to give good readings, take some samples over your tank where the colony is and if possible go sample the light where they came from with the same light meter.

Make note of all significant differences in lighting between their setup and yours as that will figure into the comparison.

* I would order a lux meter like mine (a $15 "lx-1010b") to keep for general use. Get a PAR meter if you can afford one. I don't think the apps are totally reliable, but still better than nothing. I only recommend them while you don't yet have your hands on a real meter. :)

They were running eco tech radion I am running the fluval lights they are running at 14k

DrA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a GSP colony in tank for about 3 months and always open when lighting is on that have been closed for 2 days with no changes in water quality lighting or flow. Normal?

Back