Hanna Alk reagent issues

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Bad as in I went to the site and it says that 5672 needs to be replaced. I'll test it tonight vs. R's Pro and see how it looks. It's a new bottle that I just got in, so don't know how the readings are yet.
Ok cool, i tested it against a good reagent and it seems to be inline kinda odd ( toward the end of a bottle i open. a new one and compare everytime)

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any issues with recent Hanna Alk reagents?

It seems the last 2 bottles I have purchased seem to test lower Alk when I get to about 1/4 of the bottle left. Start using a new bottle and my test show about a 3dkh difference higher then the 1/4 empty bottle.

I just had this very issue. I started chasing my alk and could not get it back to 8 even after several days of dosing. After 3 days I got suspicious, used a new bottle of reagent and it also tested about 3 dkh higher than the other bottle. Wish I would have written the lot number down before I tossed it.

OP
OP
tcoyle

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know as that is the same batch I got from them and have used a bottle and a half and it seemed consistent.

I'm trying to find my proof of purchase to send mine back.

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, so Hanna knew about this for months and never issued a recall or put a stop on the bad lot #'s? I never got any notification from anyone and both mine are officially bad. I only know about this because I'm on here.

It happens that both reagents test similar to API and Redsea but now how can I trust it?

Hanna-Teri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also addthis comment. Hannahs the only people in my 15 years of getting bad reagents from other company to ever go out of their way to give a refund. I have a question some of these ive ben testing side by side with reagents and differentkits but with some alk reagents i do and i dont get far reading, is their anyway you can explain the reason to why the reagents went bad? And if some didnt get effected? Thank you

There was a reaction that took place with the liner of the cap after being open. Once opened for some time, the readings were affected. We changed the caps so it will not happen any longer.

OP
OP
tcoyle

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought is they had a few bad batches out there and decided to recall all reagents that were out on the market. When I first contacted them when I started this post, they only knew of one bad batch and mine was "supposedly" the first that they heard of having declining numbers.

I think it takes time to pinpoint a problem of this nature and commit to a plan to fix it. I applaud Hanna for their efforts.

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Teri - how long does it take for the reagent to go bad after its opened? Is it safe to assume that a known bad reagent was accurate the day it was opened?

Hanna-Teri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, so Hanna knew about this for months and never issued a recall or put a stop on the bad lot #'s? I never got any notification from anyone and both mine are officially bad. I only know about this because I'm on here.

It happens that both reagents test similar to API and Redsea but now how can I trust it?

If you put your lot # in the link and it comes back ok, it is in the new bottles and will be fine. Even if working ok, and comes back as bad lot number, get the replacement. The problem is a chemical reaction to the cap once the bottle is open.

As people called with problems, we exchanged them, just as we would any of our product line.
We just try to do what we can for the customer. As the calls became more frequent (and this thread appeared) we learned it was wider spread and stopped the shipments of them from our facility.
We didn't know exactly what the problem was until recently. We were checking the reagents, the way they were made, the contents/ingredients and they kept coming back fine. It turns out the problem is a chemical reaction with the cap once the bottle is open.
We have started notifying distributors and retail outlets. There is only so much we were able to do with Amazon and other outlets.

I am on these threads now to try and spread the word to everyone we can. With the stores and online, we do not have contact information for the actual users so trying every venue/media I can find. I am welcoming any suggestions of where else to put information so we can reach as many people as possible.

Last edited:

Hanna-Teri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Teri - how long does it take for the reagent to go bad after its opened? Is it safe to assume that a known bad reagent was accurate the day it was opened?

It is good the day it is opened, and probably for the next few tests. I do not know the time period. I was only told it is something about how the chemicals react to the caps makeup once the seal is broken.
Go to the link and see if your lot is good (in newer bottle) or not-even if working fine, get a new one if needed.

Hanna-Teri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought is they had a few bad batches out there and decided to recall all reagents that were out on the market. When I first contacted them when I started this post, they only knew of one bad batch and mine was "supposedly" the first that they heard of having declining numbers.

I think it takes time to pinpoint a problem of this nature and commit to a plan to fix it. I applaud Hanna for their efforts.

Thank you.

And by the way, I was told that it was this forum/thread that brought most of the attention to our technical department to look further into the problem so I think you (and the others here) are the heroes in this.

Hanna-Teri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna is sending me a reagent too. I've just lost trust in my tester so now I'll have to run two tests (one with Sailifert) for a while until I trust it again.

We understand! And thank you for continuing to give us a chance.

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I actually just tested a new batch of SW with the Hanna, API and Redsea. They all came out at 9 dkh. I'm not really seeing the issue.

OP
OP
tcoyle

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

And by the way, I was told that it was this forum/thread that brought most of the attention to our technical department to look further into the problem so I think you (and the others here) are the heroes in this.

Well I am glad Hanna figured it out and we could help. Just wish my corals didn't pay the price for a lesson learned the hard way. If something does not appear to be right, its probably not. I lost all my SPS and my tank has taken a hit from all the Alk I was adding when I first started my 2part dosing due to the false readings.

From now on I will NEVER make major adjustments without getting at least 2 similar tests from different kits to verify.

Hanna-Teri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had this very issue. I started chasing my alk and could not get it back to 8 even after several days of dosing. After 3 days I got suspicious, used a new bottle of reagent and it also tested about 3 dkh higher than the other bottle. Wish I would have written the lot number down before I tossed it.
Sorry about the delay. I checked with our general manager to see what I could do for you. Please contact me, my email is [email protected]

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing this as a problem a few months ago. I started testing with both Hanna and Salifert. Hanna quickly took a dive. For now I am using nothing but Salifert.

I love the Hanna meter, but I don't care for replacements. All I want is accurate results. I will wait till Hanna resolves this issue, if they can, before I switch back.

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not read all the posts so maybe I am repeating something that was already said. I called the technical support and was told that the problem with the reagent is not going to cause systematic error, but a random error. That means that is not possible to correct the results one will get with the reagents that have problems. I also called a few stores and learned that there are many lots with problem. So at this point best is to purchase directly from HI, unless you know the lot of the reagent you are buying is not problematic. This is a good example why frequently running controls is advisable.
Sorry if all this information was already stated.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back