Hanna Alk reagent issues

BryanS4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called and spoke with Hanna and they advised that it's good as long as the "green passed" seal is on the main box. I do have that sticker so I guess it's good.

I'm looking at the caps and nothing is different, at least to the eye that is. I'll be checking vs. another kit for a while still.

runzwithscissors

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Hanna checkers. Especially when your eyes aren't what they used to be. Who would have figured that the cap and not the reagent could cause a problem. Glad they've been proactive in replacing and to BRS for letting us know about the issue.

ontop27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea but how do i know that my lot number doesnt match a HL755-26 lot number? Wouldnt they have different lots? (Reason im asking is because the lot is bad)

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I called and spoke with Hanna and they advised that it's good as long as the "green passed" seal is on the main box. I do have that sticker so I guess it's good.

I'm looking at the caps and nothing is different, at least to the eye that is. I'll be checking vs. another kit for a while still.
lolol that was funny. Maybe look at the lineing inside the cap and see if its different. Would love to kno if i can prevent the issue myself concidering i got a bunch of reagents

BryanS4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lolol that was funny. Maybe look at the lineing inside the cap and see if its different. Would love to kno if i can prevent the issue myself concidering i got a bunch of reagents

No it looks like the same material. The lining of the cap is the first thing I looked at since that was the reported problem.

I never had any issues, maybe because I keep the bottles upright and not laying down in the case?

Not sure, but this won't be my go to for Alk for a while.

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have started notifying distributors and retail outlets. There is only so much we were able to do with Amazon and other outlets.

I am on these threads now to try and spread the word to everyone we can. With the stores and online, we do not have contact information for the actual users so trying every venue/media I can find. I am welcoming any suggestions of where else to put information so we can reach as many people as possible.

Hi Teri, I've seen you ask a few times about where else to put info to get the word out. How about your own website? I just took a look around the site and there is no mention of this. I find it hard to believe that with a problem of this magnitude that there isn't info and corrective measures listed on the manufacturers website and can only be found on some obscure link to a page found on a hobbiest forum. The link and info should be on Hanna's home page. The fact that it's not there leads one to believe that this is trying to be hidden and those not active on forums are screwed. Kinda shady in my view... that you've done right by those people here is great. What about everyone else?

Don't get me wrong. I think what you personally are doing is great and the decision not to post this info on the website came from above you. The person or department that made this "executive decision" really needs to rethink about how this will effect brand loyalty. As someone just getting started in this hobby I'm really going to look elsewhere first for testing equipment.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my replacement reagent yesterday. It was much faster than the 2-4 weeks the email stated (about a week), which was good. I will say I haven't opened it yet to test it against my salifert kit. I'm not sure I will be able to trust this again, my sps took quite a hit. I do want to thank hanna for replacing the reagent quickly though.

OP
OP
tcoyle

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clear on this issue. The new reagents they are sending out will ALL have a green "passed" sticker on them. If you plug the lot numbers into the website, it will come back as needing replaced, but they are ALL fine. The problem was with white piece under the cap that when it was shaken up and touched that piece, it had a reaction with the reagent. So the reagents themselves were not bad, just the bottle cap.

If you don't have reagents that have the "Passed" sticker, then you need to get them replaced!

Hanna-Teri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hanna-Teri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clear on this issue. The new reagents they are sending out will ALL have a green "passed" sticker on them. If you plug the lot numbers into the website, it will come back as needing replaced, but they are ALL fine. The problem was with white piece under the cap that when it was shaken up and touched that piece, it had a reaction with the reagent. So the reagents themselves were not bad, just the bottle cap.

If you don't have reagents that have the "Passed" sticker, then you need to get them replaced!

You seriously are my hero! I just go the information on the green sticker to pass on last night!

Hanna-Teri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI Everyone-
I just received this information so I thought I would share it with you all:

We at Hanna Instruments want to clarify any concerns pertaining to this issue. The recall was issued due to a problem with the white inner-seal located on the underside of the blue plastic cap. After being opened, any contact between the liquid reagent and this white inner-seal was shown to cause a reaction which affected the reagents. The liquid reagents themselves were not bad.
Once we caught the error, we began replacing the affected seal with a new, non-reactive seal. Our quality control personnel are placing green “passed” stickers on the boxes that have been corrected in this manner. Therefore, any new or replacement reagents, even those with a “bad lot number”, that have a green “passed” sticker have had the problem corrected. We are working hard to fully rectify this issue and are sending out replacement reagents in the order in which requests are received. Thank you for your patience and understanding, as we truly appreciate your business.

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any problem with the new regents. I'm think mine is still drifting to the lower side. This is getting to a point tat I might just go away from Hanna checkers from now on

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back