Happy Day for my Firefish

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For whatever reasons my firefish started hiding for lengthy periods of time and at one point for many days. When he finally emerged the poor guy had some ratty looking fins. Along the edge of the fins was a whitish looking infection.

I "diagnosed" him with a bacterial infection. I decided this was a good time to try out Rally. I went with Rally instead of using kanaplex and focus. I just wanted to see its effectiveness. I pulled the carbon and dosed 1 oz per 10 gallons for 3 times on 3 days. As of yesterday the fish looks almost perfectly back to normal. There is still a tiny bit of white left, but I expect this to be gone today. He was also haveing stringy white poop shortly before this all went down.

So far im very happy with Rally and so is my Firefish :)

Best pic I could get this morning. You can just make out the white on the bottom fin. This was along the edges everywhere. And showed that the fin was rotting away.
IMG_5587.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad he's doing well. Did the Rally hurt your corals or shrimp?

Good question. I see no negative effects with invertabtrates. I have a coco worm I like to think is my canary. Its showing no change there. The fish are acting a little light sensitive but not sure if this is the medication or something else. Im doing a wc tonight and putting my carbon back in. Ill update again later tonight.

So far Im giving Rally 2 thumbs up :)

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully with a water change they'll open back up as if nothing ever happened.

I might try Rally since Kana/Focus didn't do it's job on my Kole Tang. I got feather dusters. Kanaplex didn't kill them so I'm hoping that Rally can save the day without killing my inverts.

Keep an eye out in case that infection pops back up.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rally contains acriflavine, a good antiseptic. It was actually used to treat soldiers' wounds during WWII. I've always been nervous about using it in a reef due to the rust color it gives the water.

Glad to hear your firefish is doing better. However, I must point out that the white stringy poop is a symptom of intestinal worms and you will still need to food soak Metro to treat for that.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rally contains acriflavine, a good antiseptic. It was actually used to treat soldiers' wounds during WWII. I've always been nervous about using it in a reef due to the rust color it gives the water.

Glad to hear your firefish is doing better. However, I must point out that the white stringy poop is a symptom of intestinal worms and you will still need to food soak Metro to treat for that.

Other than rusty coloration it causes, do you think it'll be ok in a reef? Somewhat? Maybe? The OP said it worked ok in his tank.

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully with a water change they'll open back up as if nothing ever happened.

I might try Rally since Kana/Focus didn't do it's job on my Kole Tang. I got feather dusters. Kanaplex didn't kill them so I'm hoping that Rally can save the day without killing my inverts.

Keep an eye out in case that infection pops back up.

Got home today and the corals that were sad are happy again. :) looks like everythings working out.

Thanks! Yes, I researched the active ingredients and learned it was used in WWII. There is no rust color in the tank, its actually radioactive green lol. Yes, dumping in 2 oz of radioactive looking liquid into my tank had me pretty nervous. Im waiting until the Rally is finished before I treat for intestinal parasites. Good call?

What about out the ingredient aminoacridine?

Other than rusty coloration it causes, do you think it'll be ok in a reef? Somewhat? Maybe? The OP said it worked ok in his tank.

The tanks doing fine :)

"RALLY ™'s safety and effectiveness has been widely proven in hobby and commercial applications. The reagents in RALLY ™ are blended by a proprietary method that renders RALLY ™ much more effective than the sum of its parts -- i.e., acriflavine + aminoacridine + an activator (miniscule amount of formalin) -- for the control of external parasites and bacterial fin and tail rot." -Ruby Reef

oh such a cuttie. g;ad she feels better now

Thanks!

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The rust color goes away in about 8 hrs.

sneub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow awesome job, makes me happy that you were able to help him out. This is one of my favorite fish.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great! You can wait until you are done with Rally to treat for the intestinal worms. Metro + focus and this might take about 2 weeks to get rid of. Be patient with it :)

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great! You can wait until you are done with Rally to treat for the intestinal worms. Metro + focus and this might take about 2 weeks to get rid of. Be patient with it :)

Thanks Merideth!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back