Having trouble with a puffer

mlabadie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a porcupine puffer, it was swimming around and now it's just sitting near the bottom.. any suggestions?? Please help me out.

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a porcupine puffer, it was swimming around and now it's just sitting near the bottom.. any suggestions?? Please help me out.
Well for now until someone else chimes in I'll try my best to help.
Is this puffer in your DT or is he in a QT?
If he's in your DT was he put in QT for 72 days?
Is his breathing rapid?
See any spots on him?
What are your parameters?
Also how did you acclimate him?

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also puffers are kinda funny, we had one and he would just sit on the bottom sometimes and nothing was wrong with him so first let's see about the questions I asked and if nothing looks out of place then just watch him and keep us updated.
Make sure of temps and Oxygen levels.

OP
OP
M

mlabadie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accilmate him slowly. I put him in a bucket and introduce my water every half an hour for 2 hours. I'm not familiar with the Qt or DT and what they are. He was swimming all over and then he begin to sit at the bottom. I've had for 24 hours now and haven't been able to get him to eat yet.

jenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We want to help, but will need more information.
Is this a new tank? what other fish do you have in it? What is the salinity of the water? temp? What are you trying to feed him?

Pictures would be great. We have some pretty smart people on here that can usually look at a picture and tell if there is a disease condition going on.

Has he eaten anything since you brought him home? What are you feeding him?

Oh and QT stands for quarantine tank and DT stands for Display tank.

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We want to help, but will need more information.
Is this a new tank? what other fish do you have in it? What is the salinity of the water? temp? What are you trying to feed him?

Pictures would be great. We have some pretty smart people on here that can usually look at a picture and tell if there is a disease condition going on.

Has he eaten anything since you brought him home? What are you feeding him?

Oh and QT stands for quarantine tank and DT stands for Display tank.
Really. We need way more info.....

OP
OP
M

mlabadie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is in the display tank. Salinity is at 1.025. temp is at 79. Oh is around 8.0. I've tried feeding him some mysis shrimp and silversides. I have yellow tang, yellow goby, one 3 stripe damsel, a Niso tang, forgive my spelling. The tank is a 75 gallon with a sump and it's been running for about 2-3 months now.

IMG_20170107_174646135.jpg

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First you never feed puffers mysis. It will give them lock jaw due to the iodine in them. They love fresh shrimp and clams. I go to my local store and by fresh whole shrimp and clams and freeze them, then hand feed them cut up pieces. We have three puffers and for some reason they like to be hand feed. I believed be its the movement more than anything. My porcupine puffer went two weeks without eating so that doesn't bother me, what bothers me is it's on the bottom. They are very active fish.

OP
OP
M

mlabadie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was active and now he's chilling at the bottom. I tried a silverback earlier but he ran away from me.

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it's not breathing hard and does not have dots all over it I would not worry too much. Give it a little while, it my perk back up. Porcupine puffers are moody creatures.

OP
OP
M

mlabadie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks like he is breathing heavy. But then he moves around bit.

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say. Their mouths are always wide open and they do seem labored at times. All my fish breath different and at different rates. Without more pics and info it's hard to say.

OP
OP
M

mlabadie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seems to be breathing kinda hard. What does that mean

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First you never feed puffers mysis. It will give them lock jaw due to the iodine in them. They love fresh shrimp and clams. I go to my local store and by fresh whole shrimp and clams and freeze them, then hand feed them cut up pieces. We have three puffers and for some reason they like to be hand feed. I believed be its the movement more than anything. My porcupine puffer went two weeks without eating so that doesn't bother me, what bother me is it's on the bottom. They are very active fish.

This is wrong information here. There is nothing wrong with feeding mysis. Lock jaw has been associated with feeding krill but it is more of folk lore than fact. Ive had my porcupine several months. He is pretty lazy. He always likes to stay around the bottom and only comes out swimming at night.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, IME they are very shy fish. It takes time for them to get comfortable with their surroundings. Mine eats whole shrimp and krill from my hand as well. He also likes LRS chunky blend. Just keep an eye on parameters and watch for all the signs of disease. Good luck.

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is wrong information here. There is nothing wrong with feeding mysis. Lock jaw has been associated with feeding krill but it is more of folk lore than fact. Ive had my porcupine several months. He is pretty lazy. He always likes to stay around the bottom and only comes out swimming at night.
Well I guess everyone on the puffer only forums are wrong too. I guess I'm a idiot....

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll let you take over from here.. sorry I tried...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back