Height of the skimmer body

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any pros or cons to having a taller skimmer body?

Was talking to a friend the other day and he said there is no advantage to having the same diameter skimmer body but one being taller.

I have a asm skimmer and a extra asm skimmer body. They both are 10" body's but one is about 8-9" taller.

Im under the assumption that the taller one will give you better results as the water has more time to bubble up and foam in the taller skimmer, so there is more contact time inside the skimmer.

Both would be fed by a 1500gph pump

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO taller is better. Mine is about 5 feet tall and about 20 years old. I would have built it taller but then I would have had to cut a hole in the ceiling.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Was talking to a friend the other day and he said there is no advantage to having the same diameter skimmer body but one being taller.

I have a asm skimmer and a extra asm skimmer body. They both are 10" body's but one is about 8-9" taller.

Im under the assumption that the taller one will give you better results as the water has more time to bubble up and foam in the taller skimmer, so there is more contact time inside the skimmer.

As usual, there are limits to the "more is better" approach.

More height or more diameter = more volume = more room for foam.

But that means you also need more pump and higher flow to do that.

Eventually, you end up with so much flow and foam vs the volume of the tank and quantity of dissolved organics (etc) that you don't get a functional skimmer anymore. There will be both not enough foam to form a head and what foam forms won't make it to the collection cup.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't experiment though!! :)

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO taller is better. Mine is about 5 feet tall and about 20 years old. I would have built it taller but then I would have had to cut a hole in the ceiling.

And Paul puts this to rest lol
Still love this shot paul!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What! Of my phone? You pick it up and make words come out of your mouth :rolleyes:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What! Of my phone? You pick it up and make words come out of your mouth :rolleyes:

:DThe long cord brings back memories, of the freedom of not having to stand next to the phone:rolleyes: now it is all wireless.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good question, I was asking myself that two days ago.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:DThe long cord brings back memories, of the freedom of not having to stand next to the phone:rolleyes: now it is all wireless.

That cord is so long it may as well be wireless. I also do have wireless phones all over my house, that one that I installed in the 70s or 80s still works and it is mainly there to cover up the hole in the wall.
I was born in the 40s but have not been in a coma since then. I also have a color TV :D

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That cord is so long it may as well be wireless. I also do have wireless phones all over my house, that one that I installed in the 70s or 80s still works and it is mainly there to cover up the hole in the wall.
I was born in the 40s but have not been in a coma since then. I also have a color TV :D
LOL

truffle22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That thing looks like it came strength from a hippie convention. Where do u put the wacky tabaccy?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think somebody is jealous of my very cool skimmer. Or maybe my phone. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back