Heldrichi Less Likely to Jump?

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are helfrichi fire fish less likely to jump compared to normal orange or purple ones?
Is there anything about them that is different other than appearance?

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be careful when choosing its tankmates. Like most firefish they are skittish and can be easily bullied by some wrasses, damsels, clownfish and dottybacks.

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be careful when choosing its tankmates. Like most firefish they are skittish and can be easily bullied by some wrasses, damsels, clownfish and dottybacks.
I already have a clown fish in the tank but as long as the firefish doesn't go near his anemone, they should be fine. Thanks!

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank covers save lives.
Most fish will jump, especially if they are spooked. I have a tight fitting glass top. I just have to be extra vigilant when cleaning the tank and doing water changes. This is when the lid is open and the time when you will most likely spook the fish.

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank covers save lives.
I have a tank cover on my tank and the firefish managed to fit through one of the mesh wholes. I was using the 1/4" mess and I don't know how he did. There weren't any other gaps in the lid.

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most fish will jump, especially if they are spooked. I have a tight fitting glass top. I just have to be extra vigilant when cleaning the tank and doing water changes. This is when the lid is open and the time when you will most likely spook the fish.
My clownfish has jumped twice but luckily I have been there both times

reefmagic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are especially good at jumping. Wouldn't even dream of getting one without a cover unless you want to burn your money lol

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a regular fire fish in a 6' tank with 11 wrasse, 2 clowns, and an Azure damsel and it held it's own well. Kept it for 4 years and lost it in the move to my new house.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helfrichi are the jumpiest of jumpers I've ever had ever, I lost a pair the first night I had them, and that was even w/ a screen top w/ 1/4" mesh!
Found both next to each other on the floor like they held hands!

Terry aka Cr@sh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So true, I have both (purple and orange firefish) also bar goby's and dartfish or scissortail's..... all capable of flight in the slightest threat. Even with cover and diligent awareness when cleaning, I had a dart fish commit suicide. I don't blame it because he was the only species that I did not have a mate or pair. I always buy pairs. I since replaced them with a pair and now they are not so skittish. I've seen wrasses slam into canopy's and even break their backs and die within days or hours. lights, loud noises and people approaching tanks startle fish.
Tank covers save lives.
"FISH LIVES MATTER" :D
A forum member posted : I gently open the bag with firefish then just throw them on the floor. :oops:

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So true, I have both (purple and orange firefish) also bar goby's and dartfish or scissortail's..... all capable of flight in the slightest threat. Even with cover and diligent awareness when cleaning, I had a dart fish commit suicide. I don't blame it because he was the only species that I did not have a mate or pair. I always buy pairs. I since replaced them with a pair and now they are not so skittish. I've seen wrasses slam into canopy's and even break their backs and die within days or hours. lights, loud noises and people approaching tanks startle fish.
"FISH LIVES MATTER" :D
A forum member posted : I gently open the bag with firefish then just throw them on the floor. :oops:
Do you think a pair would be less likely to jump?

Terry aka Cr@sh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that they can still jump when startled, it's more like they feel less likely to jump because they are with one of their own and less stressed.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that they can still jump when startled, it's more like they feel less likely to jump because they are with one of their own and less stressed.
...but only if they are a bonded pr. If they are not bonded than one will be more stressed and more likely to jump since firefish are intolerant of conspecifics, unless they are a bonded pr.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back