Hello guys, need help with hair algea (Solutions/Ideas/Products?) Thanks!

Nico Ellis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as mentioned in the title I need some solutions for a 55-gallon reef tank (New) that is getting hair algae, I know this is caused by phosphates and I need to know how to lower these, that's why I am reaching out to some of you guys that know how to deal with this nuisance.

Thank You,
Nico Ellis

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tooth brush and snails.Honestly. Also a (i dont like them long term) but hermit crabs. IME if there's enough turbos and other grazers, one you knock down the high spots the snails will keep it mowed for you.
Nutrients are going to fluctuate in a young tank. so hang in there and watch your feeding amounts.
And siphon the hair algae out with a big water change after scrubbing. You want to get as much out as you can or itll just up the Po4 as it decays.

OP
OP
Nico Ellis

Nico Ellis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tooth brush and snails.Honestly. Also a (i dont like them long term) but hermit crabs. IME if there's enough turbos and other grazers, one you knock down the high spots the snails will keep it mowed for you.
Nutrients are going to fluctuate in a young tank. so hang in there and watch your feeding amounts.
And siphon the hair algae out with a big water change after scrubbing. You want to get as much out as you can or itll just up the Po4 as it decays.
Thank you very much for the quick response!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for the quick response!
No problem. The ugly phase can be tough. Ive seen more success with good husbandry, cleaning and bacterial boosters than most other things. FInding the feeding balance is the real trick IMO.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tanks always have issues and it's a part we have to go through. I'm there to with my nano and hate the way it still looks after cleaning. It's all part of it.

Good husbandry is your friend.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back