HELP! Aqua Illumination Sol or Maxspect G2 170W?

aaceti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some serious help deciding which LED fixture to get. I hear the Aqua Illumination is better but some people are telling me it may be too powerful for my tank. I have a 46 gallon bowfront aquarium that is 36"L x 16.25"W x 20"H with a mixed reef (SPS, LPS etc.). I was told I would need at least 2 Aqua Illumination fixtures if I was to go that route and then I was told that I would need to run them at about 35% intensity because they are too powerful. At this point I am extremely confused and need some advice from someone who knows what there talking about.

The mounting for the aqua illumination was also a problem. I was either going to buy the mounting kit but if possible I would rather just sit them on the glass lid of my tank. I do not want to buy these fixtures and realize that I wasted about $1000 because they are too powerful for my tank.

Here are the two fixtures. ADVICE PLEASE!

Aqua Illumination Sol
http://www.incredibleaquarium.com/in...oducts_id=1563

Maxspect G2 170W
http://www.reefsolution.com/catalog/...oducts_id=2644

youngtimothy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the maxspect link didnt work but ill be watching this to see what you decide, I would like to do LED's but not sure if I want to do DIY fixtures are so expensive. good luck!

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going thru Luke @ Reef filtration for my leds you should talk to him & see what he can come up with to help you decide what you need

laynframe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of the AI fixtures on my 70 gal cube. I would go with AI's you can adjust the intensity of the light and also the k rating as well. You can also do thunderstorms and it will simulate cloud cover and also do lunar phases as well. Ive had a Evolution g2 before and I settled on the AI. Nice thing about the AI is you can add on modules if needed but I think you would be fine with 1 AI.

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of the AI fixtures on my 70 gal cube. I would go with AI's you can adjust the intensity of the light and also the k rating as well. You can also do thunderstorms and it will simulate cloud cover and also do lunar phases as well. Ive had a Evolution g2 before and I settled on the AI. Nice thing about the AI is you can add on modules if needed but I think you would be fine with 1 AI.

Doesn't these options shorten the lifespan of the leds drastically (thunderstorms)?

florida reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have either fixture, but if I were in your situation I would choose the aqua illumination. The different features the A1 has is amazing and versatile.

livfortoday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chestnud,
Not to highjack your post to OP, but did he take you up on the AI fixture? If not are they still available
? Id be interested in hearing more.
I pm'd you, I am selling a two unit AI fixture thats 6 weeks old, my tank decided to start leaking this morning....

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back