HELP!! Big Time Alk Overdose-Bleaching & Dying.

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEVER take care of your reef tank when having had brain surgery!!:eek::( I left the alkalinity doser on for hours, well over a day and dosed over a gallon of alksalinity. When I got to 15 dKh on the Salifert test, I stoppped...I didn't want to know how high is was. Everything is bleached except the rock nems...BTA's, Torches, SPS, and even the Grandis paly's. Alk is at 10 dKh now. Couldn't do a WC in the tank because Red Sea Coral Pro salt is what I use. Found 1 torch this morning, totally dead with Brown jelly disease.

Is there anything I can do? I've been trying to bring up nitrate as I keep a low nutrient system. PO4 has been running high as nitrates were almost undetectable. I use Leds for lighting and wonder if a decrease in Par or turning the lights will help? I have moved the remaining torches and a few other corals to shade/under ledges. I am just Sick as I think everything is pretty much dying! This is a very large tank... Any ideas, suggestions are welcome. Thanks!!!

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What levels are your calcium and magnesium at? If your calcium is low-ish, adding some in concentrated form sometimes causes calcium carbonate to precipitate, which would lower both alk and calcium levels. High levels of magnesium would counteract that precipitation though.

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acute increase in Alk = Acute decrease in Alk. Adjusting other params will only add to the stress of tank inhabitants. Not sure what you normally run your Alk, typically WC is the answer.....Dilution/Solution/Pollution. It's likely at this point the damage is done, but your goal should be to quickly bring back to "normal." Whatever that is for your tank.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your salt will have Kh but not as high as your DT. Major WCs will help. Good Luck.

OP
OP
terri_ann

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Salty1962! I should have done a WC sooner but figured it would just increase it, darn!:mad: Thanks everyone for the input!

OP
OP
terri_ann

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There you are dear!!:D (Thanks! The surgery was unexpected and happened So Fast:eek:) I am going to do some testing and decide on the WC thereafter. Hope you are doing well and have a great 2017!

ptpablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the exact same thing happen to me yesterday(except no brain surgery, I'm just dumb)! I set up a new BRS dosing pump but didn't get a chance to program my apex. Somehow I inadvertently turned the pump and it dosed a half gallon overnight. I woke up to a white film on everything. Took me minute to realize what I had done.
This is in a 45 frag tank with a 30gallon sump. I did two 25 gallon water changes yesterday. The water changes alone brought alk from 15 to 10 dkh..haven't tested this morning yet but will soon.

To this point I lost a couple of freshly cut monti frags but that's it.
Good luck with your alk adventure! I feel your pain brother!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There you are dear!!:D (Thanks! The surgery was unexpected and happened So Fast:eek:) I am going to do some testing and decide on the WC thereafter. Hope you are doing well and have a great 2017!

Sorry, I was out of town on a business trip. I'm well. Good luck to you!

mannysmusic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a big water change should help in stabilizing all your parameters (alk, calc, mag). It would also help get rid of the toxins that is most likely being released into the tank from all the die off. You might also want to change out your carbon and keep it fresh to help with any extra die off toxins in your tank.

OP
OP
terri_ann

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the exact same thing happen to me yesterday(except no brain surgery, I'm just dumb)! I set up a new BRS dosing pump but didn't get a chance to program my apex. Somehow I inadvertently turned the pump and it dosed a half gallon overnight. I woke up to a white film on everything. Took me minute to realize what I had done.
This is in a 45 frag tank with a 30gallon sump. I did two 25 gallon water changes yesterday. The water changes alone brought alk from 15 to 10 dkh..haven't tested this morning yet but will soon.

To this point I lost a couple of freshly cut monti frags but that's it.
Good luck with your alk adventure! I feel your pain brother!
Sorry to hear that. It was good you caught it right away. Mine was well over a day and no changes seen other than the pH which wasn't extreme. Good luck!

OP
OP
terri_ann

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I was out of town on a business trip. I'm well. Good luck to you!
That's OK dear as there's only so much that could have been done when I found it[emoji20] I tested today and results looked pretty good. No3 @ 5ppm, Po4 @ .03, Alk @ 10.9, Mag @ 1350 and CA @ 430. GAC is new so I didn't do a WC. I will continue to monitor and pray that most corals recover! Stay well![emoji6]

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back