[Help] I think my Rasta Zoa is on its way out.

Mmbra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my zoas for about 2 months now, i purchased 5 types and all have been doing well so far, but for the last 2 weeks i've noticed my rasta seems to not be doing so great. It has started to turn black/brown and is losing its color. It opens and closes, it just looks pretty terrible. Pretty wierd since his zoanthid tankmates seem to be thriving and vibrantly colorful.

My parameters are:
Salinity: 1.024
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20ppm

i know my nitrate is a little high, but i skipped last weeks water change after researching this problem and i saw that zoas like the water a little dirty to extract nutrients from the column.

Here is a before and after bad cell phone pic. Thanks for the help all, this is my fav zoa and its sad to see it fading out.

VcUStXm.jpg

JsYvmsO.jpg

ReefTankRebel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try lower light. I have a 36" tank and mine are on the very bottom and grow pretty well. I have an 8 bulb t5.

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd pull em and dip in revive and place back into display. Zoas can be finicky and others be happy with one melting away.

OP
OP
Mmbra

Mmbra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried putting it lower, i had read that zoas will close up if light is too strong. It is still reaching, just looks really bad. There is a baby polyp with this one and i hope it doesnt spread. I may have to try a revive dip, but i'd need to order some.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back