HELP ME BROS!!!

reefrf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience will fix this problem:)

Agreed. Everyone typically wants a quick fix for algae issues, in my opinion they don't exist if you are looking for long term solutions. Understandably, it really sucks to look at this everyday. Give it time & reduce feedings portions a bit. Try to suck it out of your tank when you can.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk, ill ask him tomm. but i dont understand how that is a problem if he did get if from the beach 10 years ago. I dont understand.
If it's silicate sand, you stirred it up when you moved the tank, freeing small amounts of silicates into the water. The RO water also probably did not help the situation. Diatoms live on silicates.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sand came with the tank. I kept it. On the left side of tank where it turned really brown there was "mud" that settled from the move and i was just about to clean it out... I know this was caused from bad water. I didnt have a tds meter at the time and ran 5-10 gallons for top off bc my sump was leaking and i just replaced it. I have well water where i live with high iron.
Well that "mud" probably is dirt from the old tank. The sandbed tends to accumulate detritus and when disturbed could certainly cause the bloom you are seeing.
Personally I would siphon out the sand bed and replace it. Keep the sharks teeth or whatever you could put it through a colander and sort out that larger stuff.
While I agree the old rodi filters probably didn't help, without actually knowing the TDS of it and maintainance on the unit, its not feasible to rule out other things such as a dirty sand bed.
At the least I would be siphoning out the "mud" and stirring the sand before each water change.
Edit to add agree about silica testing from the sand bed being a possible contributor as well.

erinmegan85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and will the lights out for 3 days bother the one fish my LFS sold me eat those things growing on the rocks? Its a super ugly fish lol

I'm not a bro, but I'll throw in my two cents on this. Those things growing on the rocks would be aiptasia, and I'm guessing they sold you a filefish. haha. The fish will be fine with lights out for three days. I would be more concerned if you have some kind of mini cycle going on and there's a fish in the tank. Also, be wary of said filefish if you decide to put coral in the tank some of them also eat coral.

johnsamm7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's Dino's if u do a water change they feed off the fresh nutrients from the new salt mixture lights out will prob do the best thing if u can suction the sand and put the end of the hose to a filter sock so u can use the same water to put back in ur tank so it catches the particles of the Dino's

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would be more concerned with all those aiptasia. Do a waterchange, lower amount of food your feeding, and patience on the algae.

OP
OP
M

mlaneusmc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is doing much better now after lights out. I do have Aiptasia all over my live rock. I went to my LFS to get some peppermint shrimp for this problem and the guy ended up selling me a ugly looking fish that was supposed to eat the aiptasia. He has been in the tank no for over a week and hasnt ate not one of them lol and i havent fed him any food bc he supposed to be eating the aiptasia. Suggestions?

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is doing much better now after lights out. I do have Aiptasia all over my live rock. I went to my LFS to get some peppermint shrimp for this problem and the guy ended up selling me a ugly looking fish that was supposed to eat the aiptasia. He has been in the tank no for over a week and hasnt ate not one of them lol and i havent fed him any food bc he supposed to be eating the aiptasia. Suggestions?
It was probably a File Fish which is hit or miss with eating Aptasia, same goes with the Peppermint, they can be hit or miss also. Berghia Nudibranches are much better because all they eat is Apatasia.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed that poor fish, peppermint shrimp is a better solution as long as they are true peppermints and not camel. I pretty much agree with everyone else, probably diatoms with some cyano mixed in. Get the LFS to test the water for nitrates and phosphates to rule out excessive nutrients.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with the peppermint shrimp. I've had peppermints bother my branching hammer and frogspawn until the polyps bailed out. They are both finally recovering....slowly. The remaining peppermints now live in the sump.

OP
OP
M

mlaneusmc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish has this thing on the top that he can lift up. Hes like a dark green spoty color but his color lightens when he gets in the light. And ok ill go feed him in a few. My water tests 8.3ph, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate and 0 ammonia. Consistent for two about 3 weeks now, about to add two clown fish, an anemone, and a small clean up crew.

tgp4274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't have any luck with pepperments or the file fish
I got a copper band and in bout a month my OVER run tank had nothing :)

Lynn52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess would be the sand that was in the tank when you moved it. If you didn't remove the old sand and replace it with new sand the disturbed sand bed can lead to all kinds of trouble including diatoms, cyano, and dinos.

OP
OP
M

mlaneusmc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips. What is a copper band? I just overnighted 5 Berghia Nudibranch and put them in the tank today. They are supposed to do the trick but what do i know lol

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back