Help me choose new lighting!!

Tammie Hinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! This is my first post although I have been "lurking & learning" for well over a year.

Our backstory...we purchased a 5yr old, 90gal, existing tank setup over a year ago and have been learning and having fun! The light that came with the setup is breaking(now requires a daily beating ;-)) and my husband has been bugging me to switch to LED anyway, so it's time.

What lighting do you suggest? For our budget, we would like to spend under $3-500(we would rather be under $300, but also understand that sometimes you have to pay for a quality product).

I was planning on just picking one, however it is likely better to ask for suggestions to avoid making a costly mistake(costly more in inhabitant damage than in lighting cost).

We would like it to be able to support all types of corals.

Thanks so much for any input!!

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the budget it would go with a black box LED off eBay. Usually they're $90-120 each and you should run 2 on a tank that size. I've heard good things about SB reef lights which is basically a black box led but with a "better" spectrum for coral growth.

OP
OP
T

Tammie Hinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I not budgeting enough?

If we need to spend more, I am not at all opposed. Basically I want a solid, mid-level light(my oldest daughter will be going to college in 1-1/2yrs , leaving me with the aquarium for 5-6yrs & I am tech adverse...so by middle of the road I mean good, solid light without the tech...or at least with idiot proof tech...in most products, this usually means mid-pricepoint).

After looking at dr foster & smith, I assumed $3-500 would get me where I wanted to be, but I could be terribly wrong; afterall, the numerous choices had my head spinning & left me wanting to continue to beat my light ;-)

I really appreciate the guidance!!

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquatic Life 46" XS-UV series for $399 is much better than the SB reef lights imo. It is a more refined system with full programmable light control. It even has moon phase, storm and cloud settings. Check it out for yourself at their site.

Nick92515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mars aqua from ebay, tons of info on them, about $180 for the pair of 165w.

OP
OP
T

Tammie Hinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all of the input, many great choices to look into!!

I had already looked at the aquaticlife edge(was my top contender before I decided to ask for advice because I was scared of picking wrong & killing off the tank...sb reef wifi was my second choice, but I was worried it would be too complicated for me-especially as time goes on(I have MS & while mine is more physical(pain, spasms, & loss of movement), I know I won't completely be able to escape the mental side)), however the sale price on the xs-uv makes that a far better choice(basically twice the price as the edge & the same as the sb with many additional benefits...including that my daughter can make it complicated for her & she can make it simple for me :))

Y'all don't know how much I appreciate the help, by buying an existing system, I loved that we had to make no decisions & do no research on equipment, just the inhabitants & supplements(it's much less overwhelming that way!! Baby steps!!)...until something decided to break. &for some reason this just seemed an overwhelming decision with dire consequences if I chose wrong(it's likely not as complicated as I made it, but it seemed huge). So I truly thank everyone for their help!!

AK_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquatic Life 46" XS-UV series for $399 is much better than the SB reef lights imo. It is a more refined system with full programmable light control. It even has moon phase, storm and cloud settings. Check it out for yourself at their site.

I had the aquatic life 46" light over my 100g cadlights for about a year and a half. It was honestly the best led light I've owned. I currently have four xr30 pro radions over my tank and the shadowing and disco ball is far worse than my aquatic life was. I also had better sps growth with the xs-uv. It's a steal at 399, it's a steal at 699(what I paid) and it's was worth 1200 at full retail in my opinion. I'm now going to a nanobox ati t5/led hybrid and selling my radions but the hybrid would definitely be more than the 500.00 budget you've set. Here's an old pic of my tank with the aquatic life:
IMG_0855.JPG

Back