Help me pick a skimmer

childress5tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I'm in the process of setting up a new reef after being out of the hobby for ~3 years. I'm going to set up an all SPS 28 gallon Deep Blue rimless with an ICEBOX 15 sump (approximately 40 gallons in total). I'm planning on having around 12 4-6" mini colonies through the reef, one (possibly two) large maxima clam, and two onyx clownfish. I am looking into skimmers and it was recommended that I run the Reef Octopus 110 SSS. Do you think that this skimmer would be overkill or do you think it would be appropriate?

I'll be dosing phytoplankton every other day, feeding mysis every other day, running carbon/GFO in a phosban reactor, and autodosing Ca, ALK, Mag, and AcroPower as well.

Give me your thoughts on whether or not I'm making a mistake by considering this skimmer!

Blmain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Childress. I run the Reef Octopus 150 SSS in my 90g tank. I have no complaints and feel it works great for me. I have somewhat of a heavy load and it keeps up without any issues. The 110sss might be a tad overkill, but if I were you I would go for it. It is better to be slightly overpowered than underpowered, but that's just me! Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
childress5tyler

childress5tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Childress. I run the Reef Octopus 150 SSS in my 90g tank. I have no complaints and feel it works great for me. I have somewhat of a heavy load and it keeps up without any issues. The 110sss might be a tad overkill, but if I were you I would go for it. It is better to be slightly overpowered than underpowered, but that's just me! Hope this helps.
I figured that it would be a little overkill but considering the amount of SPS and the fact that I may be feeding more than necessary it may be a possible benefit in the end. I need to research how much SPS colonies contribute to the reef's bioload.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 57 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back