Help on DIY T5 / LED Hybrid

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok im looking for ideas on how to add a section of dimmable led's down one of the center channels of this ATI fixture. Im in the process of collecting goodies for my new 90gal build and found a sweet deal on this ATI 8x54w powermodule. These things are built like tanks and not easy to mod so my idea was to just remove one or two of the center bulbs and place led's in the chanel but i want to control them with my apex to ramp up before the T5's come on and then ramp down after they shut off, i guess like a dusk to dawn effect. I have searched for others and have yet to find any one that has modified this fixture so i figured you all would be a good group to brain storm with.
1481722054091.jpg

1481722063375.jpg

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked out reefbrite LEDs? They're designed to attach to the front and back of the ATI fixtures. They are on the expensive side, I did my own DIY option. I bought a small piece of angled aluminum, used it as a bracket, and drilled holes aligned with the ATI fixture screws to mount it. I just attached some moon lights in a daisy chain to the bracket. This DIY option works if you just want some moon lights or the dusk to dawn affect, if you're trying to get a strong LED presence to supplement your T5s then I would look into reefbrite LED fixtures.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a tough one. Chip cooling would be an issue.
Do these fixtures have 0-10v dimming ballasts already? Or are they using 2-4 lamp ballasts?
I would set it up to have a center dimming ballast ran off the apex output
I have never had the opportunity to open one of these for DIY integration

OP
OP
Tbabcock

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is only 18" wide so i have no room on either side of the fixture to hang the light bars thats why i was looking to do something in the fixture itself. As far as ballasts that are in the fixture there non dimmable and i don't want to dim the t5's because it ducks the life out of the bulb. I guess i can go with the apex moonlight pucks but i didn't want to buy another module and not sure if you can mod them to work from the rj45 port on the brain box.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is only 18" wide so i have no room on either side of the fixture to hang the light bars thats why i was looking to do something in the fixture itself. As far as ballasts that are in the fixture there non dimmable and i don't want to dim the t5's because it ducks the life out of the bulb. I guess i can go with the apex moonlight pucks but i didn't want to buy another module and not sure if you can mod them to work from the rj45 port on the brain box.
oh darn it!
You could add a dimmable ballast if there is room to dim the center 2 lamps although 0-10v is not the cleanest.
Ya this is a tough one.

TRPlacek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read a while back that you can not remove the center bulbs on ati units as it would break the circuit causing other bulbs to not light up. Not sure if this is accurate but you may want to look into that first.

OP
OP
Tbabcock

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humm.. now thats an idea.. they make LED bulbs that fit in the T5 sockets. I think i may look into that and see what i can find.

OP
OP
Tbabcock

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what i would need to add to the wiring to control the dimmable ballast but this may work.

tomtom2245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to go the DIY route with the LEDs, I can help you out. Rapid LED has all of the lights and drivers that you would need and I can walk you through connecting it to your Apex. Like was said, cooling may be an issue but you may be able to get by with securing them to your reflector and have that act as a modified heat sink.

OP
OP
Tbabcock

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank tomtom... i would be interested in your solution to my idea. ATI make a hybrid now i was just looking to model that with what i have already. Like my reply before, i dont want to dim the T5's because of the effects it has on the life of the bulbs. The fixture has 8 bulbs and i was thinking about removing one or two to place the LED's in. I would like them to be effective in the growth of the coral but i was most interested in ramping them up and down before and afterthe T5's. Just makes things better on the reef then just a sudden burst of light then total darkness.. more of a natural effect IMO.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to open it up and see how many ballasts they use.
I suspect 2* 4 lamp ballasts
If this is the case then you would have to change them

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut the reflectors out on the outer two bulbs and mounted reefbrites into my fixture. This is a Giesemann 6 bulb fixture so Im sure its a bit different.
YRZ5NZCh.jpg

OP
OP
Tbabcock

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to look at how many ballaests there are total. Its wired where the fist two bulbs come on with one power cord and the other six are on the second power cord. I will guess there are ballasts in parallel on the second power cord. And i wish it were as simple as cutting out reflectors. These things a built like tanks and each two bulb section is all a one piece aluminum section so cutting one out is not an option on this fixture.

OP
OP
Tbabcock

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant do that with the ATI. Its a machined one piece section. You have to literally slide the ballastes through the milled out tunnel in each section.. its crazy how they made these things.

tomtom2245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is an all inclusive package from Rapid that has 12 LEDs and you specify the color mixture: http://www.rapidled.com/12-led-plug-n-play-retrofit-kit-dimmable/

This one is dimmable and solderless. Or you could mix and match parts, go with the soldering connections for a little cheaper, or whatever you want. I have an article that outlines using an rj-45 cable to connect one of these drivers to an Apex plus programming tips for the ramping up and down. https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/how-to-connecting-a-diy-led-to-an-apex-dimmable-outlet.121/

The one concern I have would be the wiring of your T5 fixture, can you effectively remove one or two sockets and still have it function properly?

OP
OP
Tbabcock

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to dig onto the wiring more but i would think i could take a ballast out of the parallel circuit that controls two of the bulbs and just cap it off.
Can you tell me the dimensions of the heat sink so i can see if it will fit down in the reflector chanel and still allow me to slide the lexan shield over the lights.

OP
OP
Tbabcock

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh never mind on the heat sink i just seen that you glue them down. This may work well with the design of the fixture being solid aluminum construction and they have fans built in to cool down the fixture as well.

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rapid led right here the heatsink is pretty big 1.6" x 1" x length I was planning to use them over the reefbrite but they are too big

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 31.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 59 79.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.4%
Back