Help setting up 45 gallon reef

Jayson Ledbetter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently setting up a 45 gallon corner stand reef. Got the live sand and salt, my question is what size powerheads do I need, should I use two or three with it being a taller tank? If I remember correctly u need 20-30x the gph of the size of your tank. I had a reef tank about 20 years ago, so I'm basically a beginner at this again. And do I need a hang on filter, or just a protein skimmer, since I will using some where around 50-60 lbs of live rock. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A flow question will generate hundreds of answers! The types of coral and fish you want to keep will dictate how much flow you will need. For LPS/softies, you will want slower, gentle flow but for SPS you will want higher flow. a 45G cube right? In my 40B I run about 700-900gph through two MP10s and the return, but I stock only LPS at the moment and seems to be sufficient, if not at the higher end of their "happy" range. Is it an all in one or standard aquarium? do you plan on plumbing in a sump? HOBS work well, they just aren't always aesthetically pleasing, and a sump works best as it gives you more volume reducing the impact of any accidents and more room to stuff equipment where it can't be seen, the drawback is it requires a little more work on the front end to get going as you have to either build one or find a used one, plumb it, etc.

OP
OP
Jayson Ledbetter

Jayson Ledbetter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just a standard tank not an all-in-one. Corals will be ones that are easy to care of at first , till I get back in the swing of it. I don't plan on doing a sump. Am
I better off with a good hob filter, or a hob protein skimmer? Thanks for all your advice

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good HOB should be enough to start and keep it going, and if you do the easier corals like zoas, hammers, duncans, etc., they like the "dirtier" water so you may not need a HOB skimmer if you have a light fish/bio load. Just keep an eye on nitrates and phosphates in the water and if they start to get too high you may want to consider a HOB skimmer to help get some of the gunk out before it has a chance to get converted into nitrates.

OP
OP
Jayson Ledbetter

Jayson Ledbetter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question. If I need say 1500 gph flow. Does that mean if I get 3 power heads, do they need to be 1500 gph each. Or do I need 3 power heads at 500 gph to total the 1500 gph?

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe most folks use the sum of the powerheads as most flow is designed to create a pattern of sorts in the tank to keep things moving, whether it be laminar like a gyre or circular (like me) or back to front. If you are aiming for 1500gph you can do that with 2 750gph heads or 3 500 gph heads, but be ready to play with it to get it into a pattern/layout you like!

OP
OP
Jayson Ledbetter

Jayson Ledbetter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks a lot. I actually got 3 500 gph power heads today. It was either that or 2 900gph. So I opted for the 3 500's figured it would be better as far as placing them in different positions. also purchased a hob filter for a 90 gallon tank.

OP
OP
Jayson Ledbetter

Jayson Ledbetter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok now I need more help, lol. My tank is a corner 5 sided aquarium, how do I measure the top for a light, since measuring straight across its at an angle on both sides?

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So its a right angle in the corner and then two 45 degree corners across the front versus a bow-front or a curve? A single A160we or A360we would likely work, but a 160 would be more than plenty for a softie/LPS tank and even some SPS. If you are more of an eco-tech person an XR15 would likely do it. I would measure it as a square and then cut a corner off to estimate the coverage you would need.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back