Help with 135

ray72484

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so after about 3 years of not having a tank I have decided to start building my 135. It is 5 feet long and 18 inches front to back. What should the dimensions of my stand be. Also it has 1 overflow with about a 2" hole. What do I need to do to plumb it correctly. Also what size sump should I use.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some like a "shelf" around their tank while others want the stand to just fit the tank. So that's a personal preference. I went with the tank just fitting.....actually 1/2" added to the depth, 1/4" added to the length. I have the same base dimension, but only at 90 gallons. Here's my stand, simply made......

IMG_1830_zpsp7xbh5jm.jpg

When you say about 2" hole....is that the size of the hole in the glass? If so, it's not a common size for schedule 40 bulkheads. Standard are 1 3/4" (45mm) hole for 1" bulkhead and 2 3/8" (62mm) for 1 1/2" bulkheads.

A 40 breeder fits nicely under that 18" wide DT.

OP
OP
R

ray72484

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not measure the hole. I was just taking a guess but how would I do it with just one hole. I have never setup a tank with a sump. I had a tank with one but it was already set up for me. I am doing this from scratch

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one hole is for the drain and the return either has to come over the top, or you'll have to drill holes for the returns. I don't like drilling for returns, but prefer going over the top.....again, that's what I did.

IMG_5079.jpg

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you did not get the "guts" to the overflow? For a single drain system, the typical overflow is a durso. They are easy enough to DIY, but I wouldn't glue the long down pipe since this is something you might need to play with as far as length (and also for cleaning). Here is the typical durso look:

images

Note, there is a little hole drilled in the top of the end cap.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's important only that you don't want the fittings too low in the overflow. The endcap should be close to level with the top of the overflow.

HERE's instructions on building your own Durso

OP
OP
R

ray72484

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So once I get it ready and start adding water. Is there anything else I should do such as any additives or chemicals. Also should I start the skimmer on day 1 or should I wait a little while before I start it. Which skimmer would be a good one to get.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back