Help with antibiotic treatment

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this fuzzy lion about 10 days with the sore on his lip and cloudy eyes. I was hoping for the best and it had been caused through shipping and stress. The lfs assured me they did a fw and no signs of flukes but for good measure he is now and the end of 2nd round of prazi. This pic is from a week ago, he still looks the same today. I'll try and get a better pic later, but my camera is crap.

I'm a bit confused as what to use and how it will affect filtration. He has a rock cave and a gracillia bush left over from a tang, he is in a 40b observation tank alone. Should I remove the macro and the rocks to another tank, and could that transfer anything to the other tank. Am I correct that antibiotics will kill the bio filter, do I need to do constant water changes.

He is eating live ghosties and small mollies with gusto, his eyesight doesn't seem to be affected. He is active and alert. There is no swelling just cloudy and in both eyes. Thanks

IMG_20170214_142032.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not going to kill off the entire biofilter. The bacteria will take a hit, but it bounces back pretty quickly. The macro algae could die and cause ammonia problems so I would at least remove that.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused about which product to even use, I'm leaning towards furan 2, but really like seachem products so kanaplex would be better. Which do you consider most effective, I don't have experience treating this type of issue.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused about which product to even use, I'm leaning towards furan 2, but really like seachem products so kanaplex would be better. Which do you consider most effective, I don't have experience treating this type of issue.

I would go with kanaplex to start since it is readily absorbed by the fish's skin.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: No real visual change, when I look through a magnifying glass the thing on his lip just looks clear or discolored with no abrasion or inflammation. His eyes are somewhat deceiving, straight from the side they look black with the lightning bolts just like the fuzzy in the documentary about the Lembah Straights. Straight on you can see the clear bubble of the outside of the eyes. But mostly they do still have a cloudy look. He moves them and is very alert so there seems to be no discomfort. He can see a ghostie at 30 paces when dropped into the tank, and he's even taken a few pieces of whitefish. He immediately comes front and center when I enter the room, and as you can see his coloring is fantastic.

He's had the 3 doses of kanaplex, I'm doing a water change today and running carbon. I'm going to ponder my next step over the next few days. I'm very apprehensive about throwing another round of meds at him. I'vre seen way to many causes of organ damage due to the barrage of meds some of these guys are exposed to. But at the same time I want to do what's best for him.

Any ideas as how I should proceed.

IMG_20170225_202120.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would continue Kanaplex until you hit 10 days, but also add Furan-2 & Metroplex to the mix. I understand your concerns about kidney & liver damage from too many meds, but I have combined Kanaplex + Furan-2 + Metroplex many times without incident.

Or this is another combo I have used with success: http://store.nationalfishpharm.com/Nitrofuracin-Green-59584.Item.html

I just don't see that healing on its own. o_O @Lionfish Lair may have more input.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has he shed for you recently, lion king?

I really would have expected his eyes to have cleared up or gotten worse by now.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a small amount of shedding, very minimal. I so much want to let it ride, but I know that any treatment is better received when the fish is strong, eating, and otherwise healthy.

Last edited:

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a scorp that I had in treatment and for some reason, it took FOREVER for the eyes to clear up. I eventually stopped treatment after the course was done, all the symptoms had resolved (except the eyes) and when he returned to normal behavior. I watched him like a hawk and was ready to throw him back into treatment, should the need arise. So, for that fish, it was a good call....

BUT, you're taking a chance. He's a gorgeous little bugger and there are clearly some unresolved issues. I don't think it would hurt to maybe give it one more shot, follow Humble's recommendations and see where it goes. Furan 2 is pretty benign as far as side effects go. If it doesn't clear up after that, I would stop all treatments and just watch.

If you could try for a clearer picture of the lip, that would be awesome.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's today 3rd day of f2. I can't believe I had to buy it online, 5 lfs and none carried it. I was very disappointed as to the overall knowledge of medication and treatment knowledge at the lfs. For the few of you here that are experienced and knowledgeable, I'm not sure if you know how the real world operates. I would imagine most sick fish die, it would have been better doing nothing than to listen to some of the recommendations I got. Back in the day there were actual lfs with hospital rooms. The one lfs owner that I value her opinion was out of town, I'll talk to her tomorrow. But I do think he is coming along.

IMG_20170305_153039.jpg

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 of 4 doses. 3rd dose this morning around 10-11 after 25% water change. He's showing no sign of stress; still active, begging, and eating.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no change since the last photo I posted, he's now been in qt a month. He's has 2 rounds of prazi, 10 days of kanaplex, and 4 doses of furan2. Someone suggested Seachem Paraguard but I'm sure if that's a good call or not. I don't want to put him in display if there's a chance to spread, and I don't want to keep throwing meds at him to see what sticks. Any real life advice would be greatly appreciated.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he eating well and otherwise acting normally?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 21 52.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 22 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.5%
Back