Help with brs dual reactor

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2216.JPG
IMG_2215.JPG
I bought 2 used dual reactor from someone on here. They came in great shape but I wanted to clean them a lil more. So I put the pieces in a bucket with a little vinegar and water. Unfortunately I left them there overnight. When I rinsed the the top piece was all sticky. I guess it messed up the seals. They were white when I got them and what ever coating that was on the seal turned to sticky goo. Brs doesn't sell just the seal. The whole shell is $10 each and I need 4. Here are pictures. Can I just try to clean the goo off the rubber seal? Are they totally ruined?

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gently scrub them with something slightly abrasive to remove all of the gunk. Once they're smooth and clean put them back in place and test the reactor; put the pump in a bucket of water, reactors don't need to have media, and let it run for a bit and check for leaks. If they do leak, then yea you'll probably need new ones. I've cleaned mine long term with vinegar and haven't had an issues. Many folks set these reactors right in their sumps so in reality a small leak wouldn't matter if you went this route.

OP
OP
Tsev03

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gently scrub them with something slightly abrasive to remove all of the gunk. Once they're smooth and clean put them back in place and test the reactor; put the pump in a bucket of water, reactors don't need to have media, and let it run for a bit and check for leaks. If they do leak, then yea you'll probably need new ones. I've cleaned mine long term with vinegar and haven't had an issues. Many folks set these reactors right in their sumps so in reality a small leak wouldn't matter if you went this route.

Thank u. I have cleaned them every well. I put it all back together without media. I ran for 20 minutes no leaks. I think I'm going to put media in and run in a bucket again. The media needs rinsed anyway, right? And then if it still doesn't leak I'll run on the tank till I can get new ones. I really don't understand what happened. I have left my bioreactor soaking a few days and have never had a problem with any seals. The seals were white before the went in the vinegar. All the white came off. Now they r black. I noticed the new ones a brs r orange

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank u. I have cleaned them every well. I put it all back together without media. I ran for 20 minutes no leaks. I think I'm going to put media in and run in a bucket again. The media needs rinsed anyway, right? And then if it still doesn't leak I'll run on the tank till I can get new ones. I really don't understand what happened. I have left my bioreactor soaking a few days and have never had a problem with any seals. The seals were white before the went in the vinegar. All the white came off. Now they r black. I noticed the new ones a brs r orange

Yea just keep an eye on it, it should be fine. Mine have gotten pretty grungy in the past, as long as the material still feels strong and solid, it should create a good seal. And yea the media should be rinsed.

xREEFINaintEZx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go to home depot, take one of the gaskets with you and they can prob match it and sell you a pack of replacement

OP
OP
Tsev03

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go to home depot, take one of the gaskets with you and they can prob match it and sell you a pack of replacement
They had hundreds of different ones. The guy helping me tried to match it and none of them were right. I cleaned them really well. It doesn't seem like the rubber is damaged. I tested in a bucket and it's not leaking. Thanks for all the help. I can't believe I did this. I didn't know that vinegar could do this to some kinds of seals. Lesson learned

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not surprised, walking out of Home Depot with something like that would have been a miracle IMO. You could find similar material and hand cut new ones, but they would probably be screwy.

BlueZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just clean them. I have the same reactor and it would get a white film over them. I would usually wash it in the sink and scrape the white crap off with my fingers. I never had a leak issue. The reactor won't leak from this spot, leaks will only come from the black oring in the clear canister that holds your media holder. If it did leak it would be internal and would just recycle through the reactor.

BRS sells replacement media canisters, not sure about the seals though, but as I've said, I've had the same seals for like 4 years with no issues lol

OP
OP
Tsev03

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just clean them. I have the same reactor and it would get a white film over them. I would usually wash it in the sink and scrape the white crap off with my fingers. I never had a leak issue. The reactor won't leak from this spot, leaks will only come from the black oring in the clear canister that holds your media holder. If it did leak it would be internal and would just recycle through the reactor.

BRS sells replacement media canisters, not sure about the seals though, but as I've said, I've had the same seals for like 4 years with no issues lol

That's a big relief. Thank u.

Back