Help with outbreak of Dinos

Justfbilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 gallon reef tank that has been up and running for about 2 years now. I have been dealing with what I think are dinos for some time but never like this.

I tested my water prior to doing my water change:
Temp is 78
Calcium: 400
PH: 8.0
Mag: 1320
Salinity: 1.025
Amon: 0
NO2: .03
NO3:0
KH: 161 ppm

I installed new filters on my RO system and ran about 5 gallons of water through the new filters, checked the TDS meter and it was at 0.00 so I mixed up my saltwater, let it mix with a powerhead for 4 days before using. On Friday I changed out 20 gallons of water during my weekly maintenance. The next day the Dinos were a bit more noticeable than normal and then on Sunday there were small piles all over the sand bed. I tested the water again and to my surprise the Calcium dropped to 360, Magnesium dropped to 1120 and the KH dropped from 161 ppm to 107 ppm and like I mentioned earlier there were brown piles of what I think are Dinos all over my sand bed only. There is nothing on the rocks or coral?
Dinos.jpg
?

Any ideas what would have caused such a quick drop in my levels and the sudden growth of Dinos? Here is a picture of my sand bed and the brown plies that are every where on the sand. Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated.

sowellj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are dinos (microscope is best way to confirm), people usually try the following:
1) elevated pH
2) no water changes
3) 3 day blackout, followed by reduced photoperiod
4) hydrogen peroxide dosing
5) dino x
6) vibrant
7) bleach dosing

Some folks can run some kalk and a blackout and they are done for. If you have one of the more aggressive strains (ostreopsis ovata), you could try everything and it still not be effective. Who knows on the levels.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are dinos (microscope is best way to confirm), people usually try the following:
1) elevated pH
2) no water changes
3) 3 day blackout, followed by reduced photoperiod
4) hydrogen peroxide dosing
5) dino x
6) vibrant
7) bleach dosing

Some folks can run some kalk and a blackout and they are done for. If you have one of the more aggressive strains (ostreopsis ovata), you could try everything and it still not be effective. Who knows on the levels.
+1
Dino's love water changes.

Years ago I battled it and finally bought (Algae - X) now it's Dino-X. It did the job :)

You must follow the instructions to a tee. Also any inverts but BTA's won't make it during the Dino-X treatment.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the masses and resorted to bleach...it works great but i reccomend the safer options first
@BoneXriffic

What's the regiment you used to rid dino's with bleach?

Just want to learn :)

Did it hurt your livestock?

Thanks, GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant did the trick for me. I tried it because it was bacteria based, seemed a lot safer than some of the chemical options.
+1
I would not use Dino-X unless all other natural options have been exhausted.

Usctom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach dosing is a new one to me. That sounds like a scary option.

Lights out never seems to work for me. Peroxide seems to work but something else takes over.

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach dosing is a new one to me. That sounds like a scary option.

Lights out never seems to work for me. Peroxide seems to work but something else takes over.
Bleach dosing is safe and effective when done right. I experimented with it seemingly successfully with velvet.

@BoneXriffic

What's the regiment you used to rid dino's with bleach?

Just want to learn :)

Did it hurt your livestock?

Thanks, GoVols
@twilliard maybe beable to link you...im currently one handed temporarily lol

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach.. dose 3 days twice a day.. dinos gone.. didnt lose a thing..but dinos.. lol..

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach.. dose 3 days twice a day.. dinos gone.. didnt lose a thing..but dinos.. lol..
That's pretty vague...

How much bleach per total gallons in your display tank??????????????????????

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy I thought samething...only 1 pic looks like dino.. but Im only guessing. .only a scope would identify.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a guess, but it doesn't look like dinos to me. Dinos are usually a snotty, viscous mass over stuff.

This looks like cyano on the sand.
+1
lol
Randy, I didn't look at the picture that good :eek:

Looking at it now, your spot on. It doesn't even look close to the Dinos species that I've dealt with in the past.

Looking at it now... It's like cyano or a diatom bloom. Hard to tell against the black substrate.

The times I had dinos it's been snotty with bubbles in it and worked it's way to my SPS base's really quickly.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back