Help with outbreak of Dinos

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the new shots.
To me they kinda do have the dino look but could be cyano.
I'm not an expert and you may have to scope it.

At this point I'm tagging a long for the ride :)

Isomorphic85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just battled dinos and lost...tried everything under the sun for 6 months including vibrant....nothing worked for me... ended up tearing the tank down and starting over.

Hope you have better luck then I did

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just battled dinos and lost...tried everything under the sun for 6 months including vibrant....nothing worked for me... ended up tearing the tank down and starting over.

Hope you have better luck then I did
Sorry for your loss.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try bleach? Check the write up about it, also i have a write up about it for treatment of velvet
FYI,

I've been talking to another reefer who did the bleach treatment too.

He said all went well and twillard scoped has water after the treatment.
twillard confirmed that there were no more dinos in his water column after the bleach treatment. :)

OP
OP
Justfbilly

Justfbilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to try bleach but I would have to remove all of the rock in order to catch the fish so I can put them in my QT tank.

I have had the same results with Revive, it has not helped at all.

I have only been fighting it for about a week so I am going to keep battling them and hope I can win. If I can't beat this looks like I will tear it down.

If you tear the tank down is it best to start all over with new corals?

OP
OP
Justfbilly

Justfbilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: I removed all corals but my Toad Stool (because of its size) from my DT and placed them in a spare tank till the Dinos are gone!

I got a 5 gallon bucket of salt water to rinse off all the live rock after I scrubbed it with a stiff bristle brush.

I then pulled out an old Marineland Canister filter and filled it with coarse black filter media and blue filter media (50 Micron) in each stage of the canister filter. I then put a small ball valve on the inlet hose to control the volume of water going into the canister so that when I vacuum the sand I am not sucking the sand into the canister filter. I then attached the tube from an old gravel vacuum. This allowed me to be able to push the end of the vacuum into the sand and vacuum the sand up into the tube and it would stop about half way up the tube and the sand would tumble inside of the vacuum tube and remove any clumps of the Dinos . I would spend anywhere from 2 to 3 hours just vacuuming the sand bed. I also cut down on the lighting and have been adding Seachem Stability to help increase the bacteria, and I have increased flow in the tank bay adding another power head and I change out my filter socks in my sump every 12 hours.

So far I have vacuumed the sand bed 4 times and its now 48 hours since I have vacuumed it and there are only a few quarter sized spots of the Dinos on the sand. It looks like I might have got the Dinos beat but I cant let up on them yet.

I wanted to post what I have been doing and the results I have gotten so far.

I hope this might help anyone else that might be battling Dinos.

Thanks to everyone that has helped me out with this . This is what makes R2R so great!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back