Help with proper freshwater dip regimen for fish??

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a kole tang and a half dozen chromis. Before I add them to my DT I'd like to try a freshwater dip to ensure they don't have flukes (I've heard the FW dip will cause flukes to fall off which will give a good indication of infestation).

I've never done FW dips on fish. Can someone give me some pointers.

RO/DI vs tap water??

Length of time??

Should I add a buffer to raise pH to tank water levels??

Anything else I should consider??

I'll adjust temp to match tank.

Thanks!

Jeremy

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use ro/di water, same temp as the tank, and adjust it to the same pH as the tank. I usually leave them in the dip for about 10 min.

OP
OP
J

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really appreciate your reply. How much experience have you had with freshwater dipping? Is it quite stressful for the fish? I'd sure like to evaluate for flukes, which aren't very easily seen as they often burrow into the gills, but I don't want to cause so much stress that it makes the fish weak and prone to other illnesses. Is it common practice for people to do freshwater dips? I just recently read a long and detailed thread about how frequently flukes can cause illness and death in fish so I thought I should do my best to prevent any tank infestation.

Jeremy

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to keep in mind: Don't dump the fish directly from the shipping bag into the pH adjusted FW. The pH in the shipping bag may be quite low. Slowly acclimate the fish to tank water. Then, once acclimated, do a FW bath in temp and pH adjusted FW, then place in tank.

OP
OP
J

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had fish in QT for two days now. PH of QT is 8.0 and I'll match the FW. Every one of them are eating well so if I see no signs of parasites with the FW dip then I'll acclimate them to the DT. Seems quick with only 2 days QT but the fish all seem very healthy and aren't showing any signs of illness.

Jeremy

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back