Help with Tunze 9001

1Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Tunze 9001 for my AIO 55litre aquarium. It fits nice and snug in the first chamber. It's been running for 1 week and produces nothing more than an almost clear wet skim. It's at the right water level etc... The air intake is currently at max meaning maximum air is allowed in to the skimmer. I assume that may be a place to start but how would I go about dialling that in as the bubbles currently go half way up the neck as they should? Another thing is it is quite noisy but it should be rather quiet from what I understand? Thanks.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, is it a used skimmer? yea it should be very quiet.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased it new, the noise seems to be related to the silencer as when I cover the hole it goes quite silent.
Got it.
@rvitko
This is our friend Roger at Tunze USA, Probably wont be in till tomorrow.

Thats very odd. Is the tank New?

OP
OP

1Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it.
@rvitko
This is our friend Roger at Tunze USA, Probably wont be in till tomorrow.

Thats very odd. Is the tank New?

It was previously used as a quarantine tank for about 8 weeks and then packed away and given a bath in vinegar and thoroughly cleaned before using it as a mixed reef as it sits now for 5 weeks.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was previously used as a quarantine tank for about 8 weeks and then packed away and given a bath in vinegar and thoroughly cleaned before using it as a mixed reef as it sits now for 5 weeks.
Hmmm. I ask because it is possible that there's not a lot in there to skim. But in my Tunzee experience, wide open should produce a LOT of foam and a seriously full cup of clear wet skimmate water.
Have you checked that its put together correctly inside? and the air line is not kinked?

OP
OP

1Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. I ask because it is possible that there's not a lot in there to skim. But in my Tunzee experience, wide open should produce a LOT of foam and a seriously full cup of clear wet skimmate water.
Have you checked that its put together correctly inside? and the air line is not kinked?

To be honest I put it right in out the box but everything did look fine, all the fittings were precise and tight, nothing seemed loose or out of place, shall I adjust the air by tightening the screw? This is frustrating as I bought this to replace my other noisy skimmer which was producing better foam and a much darker skimmate!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I put it right in out the box but everything did look fine, all the fittings were precise and tight, nothing seemed loose or out of place, shall I adjust the air by tightening the screw? This is frustrating as I bought this to replace my other noisy skimmer which was producing better foam and a much darker skimmate!
Id wait till Roger cheks in here. He's quite good about it.
The 9001 do need a week or so break in, but the noise is odd. Double check the break in instructions, and if you dont hear from Tunze here (I bet you will), you can email Tunze USA. Thats also Roger.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back