Help with starfish.....

Rahul1129

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a starfish online shipped. I think it has some kind of disease.please help
1537014929011.jpeg
1537014955673.jpeg
1537014999226.jpeg
1537014980959.jpeg

OP
OP
R

Rahul1129

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a starfish online shipped. I think it has some kind of disease.please help
1537014929011.jpeg
1537014955673.jpeg
1537014999226.jpeg
1537014980959.jpeg
Please it has arrived after 2 days and acclamated for 2 hours
How to cure it please help i dont want to lose it

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a good sign but your chances of keeping a star fish alive in anything other than a very large and very mature tank are slim to none anyway.. It’s very important to research each and every item you plan on putting in your tank, it will save you a lot of headaches and money.

OP
OP
R

Rahul1129

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a good sign but your chances of keeping a star fish alive in anything other than a very large and very mature tank are slim to none anyway.. It’s very important to research each and every item you plan on putting in your tank, it will save you a lot of headaches and money.
Yup but now it is in container how could i cure the disease??

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those white erosions don't look good . . .

I don't know sea-star medicine all that well, by hopefully someone on the #reefsquad does, and that hashtag should bring them 'round to have a peek.

~Bruce

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup but now it is in container how could i cure the disease??

No way to treat starfish that I know of , do you know anyone that has a large mature tank or a LFS that can take it off your hands? Getting it into a perfect environment is probably the best you can do for it.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The starfish is not doing well, and the prognosis is not going to be good. I agree with @Retro Reefer starfish are difficult to keep especially in a new tank. That being said I would also say that the fish was stressed before you received it. I had two starfish when my tank was new and they melted away like this.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure of any meds safe for starfish.

Cipro may be an option. I know @Amoo uses Cipro on new nems alot.
I am not for sure. It doesn't look good though.

@Humblefish @Big G @4FordFamily

OP
OP
R

Rahul1129

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The starfish is not doing well, and the prognosis is not going to be good. I agree with @Retro Reefer starfish are difficult to keep especially in a new tank. That being said I would also say that the fish was stressed before you received it. I had two starfish when my tank was new and they melted away like this.
Anything i could add to water so it get treated / cure

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my knowledge, once they start showing the white spotting, its difficult to reverse. If it's a leg, they'll lose the leg but in ideal situations, they'll keep on living and regrow the leg. Seeing the spot on the body is definitely a very bad sign, although happens frequently from shipping stress.

The only med/supplement I've heard used for starfish is iodine. That being said I have no idea on administering said iodine as far as method or quantity.

If you put the star in very high quality water in a very mature tank, it may recover, but if it doesn't, don't feel like you're necessarily responsible. A lot of starfish melt from shipping stress. Good luck!

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starfish are highly effected by parameter swings. Their circulatory system is a strange water based system. And they react to changes in salinity etc on a cellular level where each cell adjusts itself. When swing occurs to fast to adjust they die one cell at time. To this effect, they should have a long acclimation process, 3 hours or so.

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Melting" due to acclimation shock. This could have been caused at some point during the supply chain and out of your control from the get go. I've never had or heard of a star recovering from acclimation shock.

OP
OP
R

Rahul1129

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Melting" due to acclimation shock. This could have been caused at some point during the supply chain and out of your control from the get go. I've never had or heard of a star recovering from acclimation shock.
Ok so should i release him into sea??

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so should i release him into sea??
DO NOT RELEASE ANY NON-NATIVE WILDLIFE INTO THE OCEAN!!!!! Unless you got him from the ocean yourself and put him back near where you found him, then this is a big big big time no-no. This is likely how we got invasive lionfish in the Atlantic.

Edit: I hope this didn't come across as rude, (with the all caps) but as a marine biologist and long time hobbiest, this is probably my biggest trigger as it can have ecological impacts.

OP
OP
R

Rahul1129

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO NOT RELEASE ANY NON-NATIVE WILDLIFE INTO THE OCEAN!!!!! Unless you got him from the ocean yourself and put him back near where you found him, then this is a big big big time no-no. This is likely how we got invasive lionfish in the Atlantic.

Edit: I hope this didn't come across as rude, (with the all caps) but as a marine biologist and long time hobbiest, this is probably my biggest trigger as it can have ecological impacts.
But in india every marine fish is collected from wild so i thought it would be fine??[emoji29]

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are collected from the wild, but not every creature lives in every ocean.

There's no way to tell whether that star is native to the sea nearest your home (not for me, from here, anyway) but if it's been in captivity for almost _any_ length of time, it's picked up bacteria and other pathogens which are almost certainly not native to your local bit of the ocean.

That star could have been collected off the shores of Africa, Indonesia or Australia, and could be carrying disease organisms from Bali, the Marshall Islands or New Guinea.

Release into the sea is never an option.

~Bruce

OP
OP
R

Rahul1129

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are collected from the wild, but not every creature lives in every ocean.

There's no way to tell whether that star is native to the sea nearest your home (not for me, from here, anyway) but if it's been in captivity for almost _any_ length of time, it's picked up bacteria and other pathogens which are almost certainly not native to your local bit of the ocean.

That star could have been collected off the shores of Africa, Indonesia or Australia, and could be carrying disease organisms from Bali, the Marshall Islands or New Guinea.

Release into the sea is never an option.

~Bruce
It is collected from india seas i know that

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 90 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 69 34.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 30 14.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back